Audio Track

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Audio Track

Postby rootsnharmony » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:45 pm

I am using a Samsung TV with a movie.mkv file and cannot get the second language file, which is english, to play.
The second audio file will play on my PC when I select it from the LAV Splitter.
This has been an issue in the past for all multiple audio track files, despite having 'eng' as the default language.
Could not find any solutions to this issue - any suggestions?
rootsnharmony

Re: Audio Track

Postby rootsnharmony » Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:20 pm

No replies... is there something wrong with my post?
rootsnharmony

Postby meskibob » Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:49 pm

You can manually select audio tracks from the #Transcode# folder.
You can also configure the audio and subtitle priorities to automatically select languages. Check the help documentation within the GUI for syntax, or you can try here.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby rootsnharmony » Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:29 pm

Thank you for replying!

I have the "Audio Language Priority" set to "eng,fre,jpn,ger,und" and yet the english will not play by default (there are only 2 audio streams - Portuguese and English). Any ideas why?

Thank you, I can now see how I can play the files with the english audio from the Transcode folder. Although, while playing from the Transcode folder (and the Video Resuming folders), I am not able to skip forward or backward on my device during playback. I am using a Samsung SmartTV. Not sure why that feature becomes unavailable?
rootsnharmony

Postby meskibob » Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:11 pm

It sounds like the file is streamed by default, so FF/RW works but the default audio is wrong (assuming you can't change audio tracks directly on the TV). If you want different audio, you'll either need to
a) transcode through PMS, either through the #Transcode# folder or by forcing a transcode (eg file extension) -- lose FF/RW
b) modify the source file (outside of PMS) to set your desired default audio track -- maintain FF/RW
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby rootsnharmony » Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:27 pm

Thanks again.

So the "Audio Language Priority" doesn't always govern which language audio file will be played with some files?

I am not a video or audio editor by any means. Are you aware of a simple program to modify the source file to simply change the default audio?
rootsnharmony

Postby meskibob » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:20 pm

It only applies for files that are remuxed or transcoded. Streamed files rely on the renderer to do all audio/subtitle selections.

There are a multitude of programs available to modify video files, depending on your source containers/codecs. I know that MKVtoolnix is popular for MKV files. Google will probably be your best bet, although another forum user may have a recommendation.
meskibob

Postby rootsnharmony » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:23 pm

Starting to make sense... thanks for helping me out.
rootsnharmony

Return to General Help and Support