Best Settings For Wired 720p? [Better Explained In Thread]

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Best Settings For Wired 720p? [Better Explained In Thread]

Postby stiky » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:26 am

Basically, i have been using PSM from the day it was brought out to be shared. I have never looked back at SHITversity.

Basically what i am asking is....whats the best settings for the best picture/sound?

1. I'm Using A Wired Connection
2. I have a 1080i HDMI TV 52"
3. All 720 .mkv files with a mix match of 5.1 DTS and AC3

I'm not to familiar with all the tsMuxer FFDShow and what not. So what i am looking for is the best "settings" for the best picture/sound.

I'm pretty sure all my files are PS3 Compatible and just use the .mkv container (Unless PS3 doesn't work with DTS, which im pretty sure it does?).

NOTE: My PC is pretty powerful so it can handle pretty much any settings (I'm hoping) so it won't stutter (I'm hoping), i can not gaurentee 1080p but i don't have any 1080p video on my HDD so...
Last edited by stiky on Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stiky

Re: Best Settings For Wired 720p? [Better Explained In Thread]

Postby deneth0r » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:06 pm

someone reply plz .. Im having stuttering problems with my videos on wired connection. I wish to know the perfect settings. I have a powerful pc too but my videos won't stop stuttering. :(
deneth0r

Postby Topguy » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:18 am

deneth0r wrote:someone reply plz .. Im having stuttering problems with my videos on wired connection. I wish to know the perfect settings. I have a powerful pc too but my videos won't stop stuttering. :(

Maybe you should have said that in the first post.

The best settings (for most people with your configuration) are the standard settings in PMS. So if you have fiddled with the transcoding settings without knowing what you do, then I suggest you reset the configuration by erasing (or just renaming) the "PMS.conf" file.

If you still have stuttering, you need to figure out exactly *WHY* it stutters. Movie playing on PS3 stutters because its not getting enough data from PMS, the reason for this is usually:
1. Bad bandwidth on the network between PS3 and PC.
2. Not enough CPU to transcode the movie faster than it takes to play it.

So which is it ? Very easy to find out. Just look at the transcoding buffer status in PMS while the movie stutters. If the transcoding buffer is in use and its full while the movie stutters, its your network (1). If the transcoding buffer is in use and it is mostly empty, its your CPU (2). And if the transcoding buffer is not in use because you are playing an AVI that PS3 supports without transcoding, AND it still stutters, then your network must really suck.

If its reason no.1 then you need to see if you can try some different network-cables or look at buying a better switch/router for your LAN.
If its reason no.2 then you need to check the CPU load on all cores in taskmanager to see if that is really the problem.
Topguy

Postby deneth0r » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:28 am

Hi, this is a test that I made for my connection speed: Image
and as for router I got a D-Link WBR-1310

What do u recommend me to do? I'm thinking that I should probably get a new router, right?
deneth0r

Postby Topguy » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:48 pm

That is a test of your internet speed. That has absolutely nothing to do with the speed between your PC and PS3.

Did you do the observations I proposed in my post ?? And the results indicated network problems ??

You said that your connection is "wired" but your router is a "wireless-g" router, are really BOTH the PS3 and the PC connected with cable ??
Topguy

Postby deneth0r » Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:10 am

Yes they are both connected with cables. I was checking the info about my router and found out that its 54mbps... are those enough mbps?
sorry for being a noob..
deneth0r

Postby Topguy » Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:35 am

deneth0r wrote:Yes they are both connected with cables. I was checking the info about my router and found out that its 54mbps... are those enough mbps?
sorry for being a noob..

That speed is for wireless and should in theory not affect cabled connections either. I would guess the router have a standard 100mbps switch. You can check that by hovering your mouse over the "local connection X" icon in the system-tray (looks like two monitors).

If you want to check the "real" speed between PC and PS3, you could try to copy a supported avi (divx/xvid) file from PMS to the PS3. You press triangle and selcect "copy" when you have the file highlighted on the PS3. Copying av 350MB TV episode for me took 46secs, which with a little math ( 350 * 8 / 46 ) gives me an average bandwidth of 60mbps, which I guess is average for a good 100mbps wired network.
Topguy

Postby eridarda » Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:16 am

Are you sure that your wired network card is your primary NIC?

Open your networkconnections tab en go to "advanced" "advanced setting" setup your primary NIC to your wired connection. I see a lot off people use their wifi and they think they are streaming trough their wired connection.

Turn off Flow Control on your Network card
"network connections"
"right click on your NIC"
"properties"
"configure NIC"
"advanced"
There`s an option called "Flow Control"
eridarda

Postby stiky » Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:01 pm

Is anyone gonna help MY question? not the guy who posted below me...?
stiky

Postby Topguy » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:28 pm

stiky wrote:Is anyone gonna help MY question? not the guy who posted below me...?

:lol: Sorry about that, I thought it was the same person....

I'm not to familiar with all the tsMuxer FFDShow and what not. So what i am looking for is the best "settings" for the best picture/sound.

I'm pretty sure all my files are PS3 Compatible and just use the .mkv container (Unless PS3 doesn't work with DTS, which im pretty sure it does?).

I still stand by the answer I wrote in my first post (which was partly meant for you), the standard settings gives the best performance for most people.

DTS is the exception, PS3 does not support DTS while streaming, that is why you can turn on the "Keep DTS" option if you have a compatible digital surround receiver.
Topguy

Next

Return to General Help and Support