Buffer Issue

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Buffer Issue

Postby Brox » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:42 pm

I'm having buffer issues on some content. The buffer quickly empties and the file starts to skip.

CURRENT COMPUTER
Processor: Pentium 4 3.00GHz
RAM: 4GB
Video Card: Radeon X600

As a test I used my same settings on this computer:

NEW COMPUTER
Processor: Intel Core i7 x990 3.47Ghz
RAM: 12GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForfe GT 520

I'm running both computers on Windows 7. The second computer filled the buffer and the movies played perfectly. Obviously the second computer is much more powerful and I expected this result.

My question is what is the primary driver behind the "buffer performance?" Is it the processor? RAM? Video card? Is there anything I can do to the old machine to increase it's buffer efficiency?

Thanks all.
Brox

Re: Buffer Issue

Postby meskibob » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:52 pm

CPU and network specs in the FAQ - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3507&start=20#p39334
For RAM, the larger you can make the transcode buffer, the better, but that shouldn't be the bottleneck in this case.
Your best bet is to only stream content (possibly remux), no transcoding, on a wired ethernet connection.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby Brox » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:52 pm

I'm running Cat6 from the CPU to the PS3 using a gigabit switch. Streaming has no issues but transcoding often does. I'm not smart enough to figure out how to manipulate the files so I don't have to transcode so my best option is to beef up my hardware.

What type of system would I need to not worry if I'm transcoding or not? I'm guessing the i7 processor I used for my test is a little overkill but maybe it isn't.

Thanks for the feedback.
Brox

Postby mazey » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:02 pm

you should try updating mencoder first as the one in the build is quite old now and the newer one runs alot faster. (this has been updated in the next release, when it comes out...)

http://sourceforge.net/projects/mplayer ... p/download

extract to a folder then select all the files and all u need to do is copy it over the existing version in "c:\program files (x86)\ps3 media server\win32" folder
PMS 1.90.2 Snapshot - Intel Celeron G1840 2.8Ghz / Asus Z97m-plus / Corsair Vengeance 8GB / Windows 8.1 Pro (64 bit)
mazey

Postby Brox » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:33 pm

I went and updated mencoder as directed and the problem persists.

Would you think the minimum requirements would be to transcode with a "very low" chance of skipping?
Brox

Postby mazey » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:30 pm

Brox wrote:I went and updated mencoder as directed and the problem persists.

Would you think the minimum requirements would be to transcode with a "very low" chance of skipping?

well its a pentium 4 it is quite old the ghz might be 3.0 but in modern day chips a newer chip with probably half that would still be faster. the only option i can see if the buffer is empty is you need to reduce the mpeg2 quality settings in transcode settings tab. it should be set to automatic - wired, you can try the old default of 5,1,2 if it still struggles you will need to go lower.

if you dont need subtitles you can also try ffmpeg out by bumping it up the list to first ahead of mencoder then it would use it by default for transcoding you lose subs but thats what i use it handles sync alot better then mencoder and is abit faster too. you might need to disable remux when possible also if it doesnt work for you.

if you video is skipping to random points then its most likely a java heap size issue which is easy fixed.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3507&start=20#p38969
PMS 1.90.2 Snapshot - Intel Celeron G1840 2.8Ghz / Asus Z97m-plus / Corsair Vengeance 8GB / Windows 8.1 Pro (64 bit)
mazey

Return to General Help and Support