Connect with just router and PS3 or direct from PC to PS3

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Connect with just router and PS3 or direct from PC to PS3

Postby Matth3w » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:51 am

How do you do this? I have Windows 8 on my laptop and a router...I am looking to just plug the router into the wall and have ONLY the computer and PS3 connected to it (and of course the PS3 to TV). Reason being, I will be staying in a hotel but want to have the ability to watch movies as I will be there for a month. How is this possible?

EDIT: I have searched and searched, and the advice always posted is force the server ip to 127.0.0.1 or whatever, turn on sharing, and then most importantly click on the side menu, then hit settings, then change PC settings, then network, and under connections enable "Find Devices and Content"

However, I don't have that option.

See here:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... 3469040904

The title pretty much says it all. I am trying to use PS Media Server with Windows 8.1, but honestly whatever app I am using is irrelevant. The problem is, when I try to connect my PS3 to PS3 Media Server, it seems to require me to go into the right side menu, click settings, then change PC settings, then click network and then under connections, click my network connection and turn on "Find Devices and Content"
However, as you can see from my screen shot, that option is missing.
I am on my PERSONAL laptop, connected to a private network (it doesn't matter if I use my wireless or wired connection direct to the router it doesn't show up either way). I have tried enabling and leaving a homegroup, neither of which works.
Windows 8.1 has been a giant disappointment thus far, and this just adds fuel to the fire.

Matth3w

Return to General Help and Support