Connecting Through MAC Address?

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Connecting Through MAC Address?

Postby deadudeaq » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:51 pm

I recently moved into a new apartment complex where their connections are run by using your mac address through their website. I'm assuming this is messing with the media server now as the Playstation can't find any media servers. Both my PC and PS3 are connected to the internet through their respective MAC addresses so is there something else I can do to get this to run properly now? I'm not really an expert with this so I'm not really sure what I can do.

I'm running windows 7 btw if that matters.

Thank you in advance!
deadudeaq

Re: Connecting Through MAC Address?

Postby meskibob » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:08 pm

The PC and PS3 need to have open communication across the LAN for PMS to work, and it sounds like your apartment complex's network is probably disabling connections between different devices. You'll probably need to create your own network using a router and connecting the PC and PS3 to it.
Depending on the specific type of network setup, you may be able to get away with just a switch instead of a router, or you may also be able use the router's MAC address for the internet connection.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Re: Connecting Through MAC Address?

Postby deadudeaq » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:17 pm

I see.... Thank you for your response though. I was really hoping to avoid buying a router just for that. I suppose I could just connect my PC with the MAC address and have all of my other devices run off of that through the router.
deadudeaq

Return to General Help and Support