After a fresh install of PMS( with m4a file types set to bypass encoding) the m4a audio files, all of them, play on my PS3 without any issues. After a few days random songs will not play and the error "data type not supported" is displayed on the screen. Restarting PMS or PS3 in any combination does not cause the issue to go away. I have only found that uninstalling PMS and reinstalling it allows me to play the audio files again. This issue appeared for me after I tried to upgrade from version 1.60, which gave me no problems. If I have PMS try to encode the audio I will get a network connection error after the PS3 appears to try and open the file, although there is no indication on the TV as to what the PS3 is doing and it even knows the name of the song or any other details.
I have had this issue with all versions of PMS after 1.60.
I also run PMS as a service on Windows 7 and have used the packaged versions of java as well as the installed version 1.7.0_45-b18 32 bit.
Please let me know what other information I can provide, or steps to follow to help solve this issue.
Here is a copy of my configuration file:
thumbnails = true
folders = D:\\Music,D:\\Home Videos,D:\\Photos
alternativeffmpegpath = C:\\Program Files (x86)\\PS3 Media Server\\win32\\dvrms\\ffmpeg_MPGMUX.exe
mencoder_ass = true
enable_archive_browsing = false
hidevideosettings = true
hide_transcode_folder = true
notranscode = m4a,mp3,mts,m4v
image_thumbnails = true
uuid = 49a6d3ac-b2ed-3157-93cf-111169bd5ca4
usecache = true
hide_media_library_folder = true
itunes = true
engines = vlctranscoder,mencoder,tsmuxer,mplayeraudio,ffmpegaudio,tsmuxeraudio,vlcvideo,mencoderwebvideo,vlcaudio,ffmpegdvrmsremux,rawthumbs
mencoder_ass_defaultstyle = true
minimized = false
mencoder_usepcm = true
mencoder_encode = keyint=25:vqmax=5:vqmin=2
mencoder_fontconfig = true
hide_enginenames = false
maximumbitrate = 0
audiochannels = 6
generate_thumbnails = true
disable_transcode_for_extensions = m4a,mp3,mts,m2ts,m4v,avi
use_cache = true
show_itunes_library = true
network_interface = eth3
VLC_audio_sync_enabled = false