Problem with #Transcode nested

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Problem with #Transcode nested

Postby ssjwizard » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:14 am

Ok so without going into a needlessly long discussion of how I sort my media library Ill just say this. All versions of PS3 media server 1.8.1 and higher for both windows and linux exhibit an issue accessing the #transcode folder when the media is nested greater than 5 levels deep. What I mean is that once you reach level 6 nesting selecting the #Transcode folder will indeed give you the list of files normally. However, once you attempt to select a file and get the transcoding options nothing will happen. I have verified this on several versions of PMS both on my Ubuntu based media server and using the windows version from my PC, and I tested this from several renderers. I tested with my XBMC-4-XBOX, Samsung BR player, and my PS3. In all cases folders nested deeper than 5 folders it is impossible to get the transcode options for any files.

I assume this is a bug with the way PMS operates, but I am unsure of exactly what is causing this. I also tested the media in question by adding a listing in the PMS root 1 level lower and suddenly I am able to access the #Transcode on all of the media which I was previously unable to access.
ssjwizard

Re: Problem with #Transcode nested

Postby gordon451 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:34 am

Wow :o So how long is the pathname? Or, possibly better, how long are the individual directory- and file-nmes?

There's a good discussion in http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library ... px#maxpath. The short story is that we are limited to 260 characters, unless we invoke the "Extended Length Path" with the "\\?\" prefix, which gives us 32,767 characters approximately.

Gordon.
Gigabyte H61M-USB3-B3 r2.0, I5-2400 3.10GHz, 4GB RAM; W7HPx64 SP1, PMS 1.90.1, VLC 2.0.3, JRE 7u45 x64 x86, Avast! 7.0.1466
gordon451

Postby meskibob » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:13 pm

This is a known limitation with the PS3 (for 8 levels deep including virtual folders) - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3507&p=15591#p15591
Maybe this the same on the two other clients?

However, if you're stating that the same folder structure worked with previous versions of PMS, please provide debug.log files (viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3507&start=20#p38484) from the latest snapshot of PMS and from the last version that correctly browsed to the #Transcode# folder using the same folder structure.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby ssjwizard » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:57 pm

Im actually not sure if this existed with previous versions. I have tested with a few versions since 1.8.1 but nothing older.

This folder structure is actually new. I recently build a new dedicated media server, and all of my media has been migrated to a ZFS array located in /storage. From there I have /storage/video and the folder structure spirals from that point expanding outwards. The point of entry for PMS is the mount point /storage/video which is the root. My anime collection is highly complex and sorted these are the files which I was unable to transcode. Creating a reference to /storage/video/anime allows me to transcode the most deeply nested files.

I see what you are saying though about the limits of the device, and considered that it might be a problem with path length. I was not sure if it was a bug or a known limitation, so I created this thread. If this is something that is going to be a hard edge limit and not the fault of the software I understand and Ill just have to find a way to rearrange my media accordingly.
ssjwizard

Postby meskibob » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:45 pm

Not a problem.
Unfortunately yes, this case sounds like the client limitation, not something within PMS.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Return to General Help and Support