Network woes

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Network woes

Postby rigsby » Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:04 am

Firstly, apologies if this is addressed elsewhere but I can't find a solution to my problem so far.

Kit:
Windows 7 Prof.
PS3 Media Server v1.90.1
Onkyo AV Receiver
WDTV Live box
Samsung TV (HDMI)

Problem:

I'm trying to stream videos from my PC thru' the WDTV into the Onkyo & TV. Files with a basic 2-channel AC3 audio track and 720p video, stream fine, but as soon as I stream one with a 6-channel track, at some point during the streaming it will stop & display "There was a problem connecting to the network. The device could not connect to the network." This could happen at any time during playback.

At present, the only way of guaranteeing full uninterrupted viewing is by copying the source on to a flash drive & using that - which defeats the whole point.

I haven't really changed any of the settings in the PS3 GUI, only changed the port of the server to 1900 on the recommendation of a post here.

Any thoughts would be most welcome. I will supply more info if needed.
rigsby

Re: Network woes

Postby meskibob » Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:54 pm

You should not change the port in the PMS config to 1900. That is a reserved port for standard UDP broadcasts.
You should change the port back to 5001 or above, and if you can, please provide a link to the post recommending 1900 so that can be fixed.
Beyond that, try updating NIC drivers and router firmware.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby rigsby » Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:19 am

OK thanks. I'll change that back. I can't locate the specific thread, maybe it was on a different forum.

The router firmware & NIC is up to date. I'll plod on.
rigsby

Postby rigsby » Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:01 am

Well, (fingers-crossed) I think I've solved it - after many months of trying.

A post on another forum suggested restoring the router to it's factory defaults. I have a DLINK DSL-2640T. It seems that over time the firmware within it becomes corrupted. There is an option to save the current configuration (which I did), then restore to factory defaults, then reload that saved configuration.
Not only can I get thru' the options of the router quicker than recent times, but after streaming for around 5 hours I've not had the problem re-occur.

Additionally, before this fix, certain videos which had problems playing were 18mins 18secs long according to the WDTV display, whereas they were actually much longer. This has also been fixed.

So there you go, anyone with a problem like mine, try this.
rigsby

Return to General Help and Support