Connecting to a remote PS3MediaServer

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Connecting to a remote PS3MediaServer

Postby milleph » Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:49 am

Thought I'd find at least a discussion of this but haven't so far. I have PMS running on my machine at home. I'm at another location and would like to connect the PS3 here to my PMS running at home. Is it possible? I can connect to my TVersity server to access files etc... but PMS connectivity would be awesome....
milleph

Re: Connecting to a remote PS3MediaServer

Postby WorldOfHurt » Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:44 pm

I would have thought it unlikely. IIRC, for DLNA the setup handshake between the media server and the renderer involves broadcast udp, which is hard to route when outside of a LAN.

There might be some way you could 'hardwire' the server and client ips so no handshake was required, but that's likely to be a pretty minority activity, and I doubt (but don't actually know, I'm just conjecturing here :? ) that would be part of the main feature set.

If one of the PMS gurus has a definitive answer to the contrary, I'd like to know as well, as I originally had 2 networks with my PS3 on one and my server on the other, but the handshake bust that plan as my router is too noddy to configure this. So I just plugged them both into the same LAN to solve the problem... Ugly but effective :(
WorldOfHurt

Re: Connecting to a remote PS3MediaServer

Postby milleph » Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:40 am

I guess i should just make my remote disks available and then a local PSM can access them.
milleph

Return to General Help and Support