Movies pause playing .MKV files

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Movies pause playing .MKV files

Postby bluedover87 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:18 pm

This software is amazing! I love using it when I play movies from my Mac to my PS3. I am having the odd time problem where the video will start to pause half way through the movie. It usually fixes itself but it is kind of a buzz kill when your getting into the movie. I always let the movie buffer before playing it and usually if I pause it when it starts to stop playing and wait a minutes it is fixed but it happens a lot. Is there a setting I can change to make the movie play right through without having a pause here and there?

here is my setup

PS3 and 2010 MacBook Pro connected to the internet via ethernet cable
download speed 65Mbps upload speed 5 Mbps
MKV files around 15-20GB (1080, DTS, sometimes 3D)

Any help will be greatly appreciated :)

Cheers'
bluedover87

Re: Movies pause playing .MKV files

Postby taconaut » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:57 am

It sounds like your mac can't transcode the files as quickly as serving them. You can try to play with the quality settings and different transcoding engines (I'm not expert with this)
If you always wanted to have your most recent videos at the top of the folder in the ps3 or wished you could group all videos with the same genre in one folder, have a look at pms-mlx
taconaut
Project Member

Re: Movies pause playing .MKV files

Postby cdechery » Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:50 pm

Found a solution to this, for all those still looking. It may solve other issues as well.

Just update your MEncoder.
http://www.mplayerhq.hu/design7/dload.html

If you are on Windows, download the updated Windows binaries.

Then what you have to do is find your PS3 folder, something like C:\Program Files (x86)\PS3 Media Server. Inside this folder, go to "win32" folder.
Now replace from the zip file you downloaded the files mencoder.exe, mplayer.exe and replace the entire "mplayer" folder contents. Then restart PMS and let it recognize the new Mencoder and it's done.
cdechery

Return to General Help and Support