Help - LossLess MKV to AVI

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Help - LossLess MKV to AVI

Postby mz3bo » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:32 pm

Hello all,

First, thank you for reading my post. I am an end user of PS3 media for a while now and I need some help with basic knowledge of the Expert settings of this software. What I basically do is I stream MKV Bluray Rip (30gb) over my gigabytes network and play it on my PS3. It is My computer that host the MKV and PMS. I realise that for some reason, and since the beginning, the video and sound quality is the not same as if I was playing the bluray directly from the Ps3. The lead me to believe that there is some transcoding done.

Is there a way to tell PMS and Mencoder or other (wich one will work on Bravia tv ? as I am using Mencoder)... to NOT decode or transcode the MKV ? Is is possible to just change the MKV to something playable on a Sony Bravia Tv via the PS3 without affecting the quality (sound and video)..

Can you please provide the code and things I need to do ?

Thanks for your help
Bo
mz3bo

Re: Help - LossLess MKV to AVI

Postby ExSport » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:49 pm

Use remuxing instead of transcoding.
Remuxing is possible with tsMuxeR engine and transcoding is done via MEncoder and FFmpeg.
Also if your TV supports mkv directly you can play them natively (file ends with [noencode] in TRANSCODE folder)
All you can find in TRANSCODE folder. If not, try adding mkv extension to streamextensions= line in your renderer conf file.
ExSport

Postby mz3bo » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:33 pm

ExSport wrote:Use remuxing instead of transcoding.
Remuxing is possible with tsMuxeR engine and transcoding is done via MEncoder and FFmpeg.
Also if your TV supports mkv directly you can play them natively (file ends with [noencode] in TRANSCODE folder)
All you can find in TRANSCODE folder. If not, try adding mkv extension to streamextensions= line in your renderer conf file.

Hi,

My Tv does not support MKV natively. Can you please give some instruction on how to use Tsmuxer and what string I need to attach to that engine ?

Thanks
mz3bo

Postby ExSport » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:05 pm

[tsMUxeR] can be used when you browse to #TRANSCODE# folder. If you want to use [tsMuxeR] as a primary engine, in PMS GUI you can change priority of this engine in list (using arrows below). After PMS restart you should see tsMuxeR engine is used automatically when played outside #TRANSCODE# folder or you can choose it manually in #TRANSCODE# folder.
Remuxing means that mkv container will change to ts/m2ts/mpeg without loosing quality because original data are encapsulated to another format without recompression/reencoding.
ExSport

Postby mz3bo » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:16 pm

ExSport wrote:[tsMUxeR] can be used when you browse to #TRANSCODE# folder. If you want to use [tsMuxeR] as a primary engine, in PMS GUI you can change priority of this engine in list (using arrows below). After PMS restart you should see tsMuxeR engine is used automatically when played outside #TRANSCODE# folder or you can choose it manually in #TRANSCODE# folder.
Remuxing means that mkv container will change to ts/m2ts/mpeg without loosing quality because original data are encapsulated to another format without recompression/reencoding.

Thank you, I understand. Is Tsmuxer only remux by default or will it transcode also ? Do I need to put special parameter in Tsmuxer in order to tell REmux only without altering MKV ?
mz3bo

Postby ExSport » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:50 pm

tsMuxeR remuxes only. But depends on PMS version it is possible that if subs are detected, PMS logic will switch to MEncoder to support subtitles. It is not true when you choose tsMuxeR or any other engine manually from TRANSCODE folder.
ExSport

Return to General Help and Support