Bitrate exceeding Network Capability for no reason

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Re: Bitrate exceeding Network Capability for no reason

Postby naylor2006 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:13 am

Ok, ill give that a shot.

Rarely ever require subtitles, its only the forced ones that I ever care about, you know when some russian bady turns up in a film and it needs to be subbed but this is literally the only time I need them and I expect I could consider myself unlucky if this doesnt work.

Thanks again for all your help dude, consider me converted.
naylor2006

Postby naylor2006 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:03 am

Unfortunately after spending most the morning playing around with ffmpeg, although it fixed the issue for some 1080p movies it seems to appear on others instead where mencoder works ok.

I tried lossless mpeg 2 quality which looks absolutely stunning by comparison to what I have been used to but every now and then the bitrate goes above 100mbits which then cause a whole host of mess.

Ive decided that my best solution is to upgrade my networking as lossless looks to good to pass up. My WAN is 1000mbits and so is my PC along with the PS3, I have two switches in the house which are 100mbits which is causing the whole network to run at 100mbits, time to do away and replace with 1000mbits.

I will do a test in the morning but removing them and running a cable direct, if the bitrate goes up to the 300 mark again but the playback is still smooth then I have found a proper solution.
naylor2006

Postby mazey » Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:32 pm

yeah gigabit is so much better, every device, router/switch i run is gigabit, i decided to upgrade everything like a year ago. futureproofed. it would be the switch bottlenecking thats your problem. make sure you use all cat 5e cables also. cat 5 just doesnt cut it.
PMS 1.90.2 Snapshot - Intel Celeron G1840 2.8Ghz / Asus Z97m-plus / Corsair Vengeance 8GB / Windows 8.1 Pro (64 bit)
mazey

Postby naylor2006 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:46 pm

My home networking patch area was so poorly installed, all the cat 5e has been over stripped and untwisted and extended by using electrical tape to bond each 8 wire together, so I cant achieve gigabit at the moment at you need 4 twisted pairs and the part untwisted cant be more than 0.5", well mines a complete mess, surprised I even manage to achieve 100mbit.

Got a few days off now, will rewire all that myself and plug it direct into the router with connectors, no point using the cat5e patch female plugs, have a feeling i'll need to re check the wall faceplates also, pretty sure once thats all properly terminated I should be achieve the speed I require.

After thrashing this out in this forum (thanks by the way) I'm pretty sure I probably dont have an issuem just this particular mkv encoding when transcoded is creating a huge video file to sent to the ps3. Whats easy to forget is that there is a different between streaming and transcoding. A blu ray wont exceed 52mbits so why does an MKV?.... well cause it is transcoded into something else which is more often than not, much bigger than the original mkv. As my Samsung TV is only on 100mbit but understand MKV's natively the bitrate wont ever exceed what ever the mkv was encoded at which wont be more than 52mbits as the bluray wouldnt have been more than that to start with.

Also thanks to thrashing this out I had no idea that ps3 media server would serve my PS3 are a much higher quality over gigabit, my mpeg2 settings were always left to default which isnt lossless, or wasnt for me, I set to lossless and good lord it looks so much better but during a busy scene the bitrate tops 100 again and then lags to sh1t.

Hopefully ill be back to post later this week that ive nailed this gigabit ting.

Learn alot from getting issues.
naylor2006

Previous

Return to General Help and Support