How to play MKV AAC/AVC without transcoding

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Re: How to play MKV AAC/AVC without transcoding

Postby norkle » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:54 am

mazey:
i do but they are not done with handbrake they all have mkvmerge as the encoder. you can try running them through mkvmerge. do a remux using it, it should make it compatible, but i am only guessing there.

Ok, will try mkvmerge. If that doesn't work, maybe we're onto a config problem.
norkle

Postby norkle » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:56 am

mazey wrote:you can use ffmpeg to remux to the ps3 it works if you move ffmpeg to the top of the list ahead of mencoder, you can move it by selecting ffmpeg and press the up arrow to move it up then in ffmpeg options tick remux when possible, now save settings and restart pms then try the files on ure ps3.

Tested FFmpeg again with it as the preferred decoder, and same result: it transcodes to DD/AC3 5.1 and MPEG-2. However the same video prepared using MP4 plays fine muxed (not transcoded) as AAC/AVC.
norkle

Postby d3m0n1q_733rz » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:56 am

Big question here, if I didn't know what I was talking about, why are you essentially telling Norkle to do exactly what I said to do? I said demux the MKV into its separate parts, verify that those parts are supported by the PS3, and remux it as something the PS3 plays like MP4, AVI or MPEG. :lol:
The problem with MKV files is that their contents can't always just be remuxed. :lol:
It's a container format, so you could have just about any codec toss its output into it.

So...as someone who knows what they're talking about, you must find out what type of video is stored in the MKV to determine if it must be transcoded before remuxing it. I convert movies rather often, so I do have a decent idea of what needs to be done. What needs to be absolutely determined is what is stored in the MKV.
d3m0n1q_733rz

Postby norkle » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:35 pm

d3m0n1q_733rz wrote:I said demux the MKV into its separate parts, verify that those parts are supported by the PS3, and remux it as something the PS3 plays like MP4, AVI or MPEG. :lol:
The problem with MKV files is that their contents can't always just be remuxed. :lol:
It's a container format, so you could have just about any codec toss its output into it.

Just to clarify, I'm using Handbrake to produce a number of mkv test files. In each case, handbrake has produced a MKV and an equivalent MP4. In each case the streams are AAC audio and AVC L4.0 video from handbrake into either MKV or MP4. PMS streams the AAC+AVC from MP4 to the PS3, but from MKV it is transcoding to DD/AC3+MPEG-2. FYI the MKV's play fine in VLC and on my Dune HD media player.

I'm about to try mkvmerge to see if handbrake is the culprit, and basically the streams from the MP4 and have it put them together in another MKV.

Is there anyone who is streaming MKV's from PMS now, without transcoding?
norkle

Postby norkle » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:30 pm

mazey wrote:i do but they are not done with handbrake they all have mkvmerge as the encoder. you can try running them through mkvmerge. do a remux using it, it should make it compatible, but i am only guessing there.

mazey can you give me details of config at your end? I've been experimenting with mkvs from other sources and still have no luck (haven't been successful with mkvmerge yet, will experiment some more). What OS are you on, PMS version and have you tweaked your ps3.conf?
norkle

Postby mazey » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:20 am

the only change i have made is i have definitely disable subtitles ticked. and i put ffmpeg first. the info of my system and version is in my signature.
PMS 1.90.2 Snapshot - Intel Celeron G1840 2.8Ghz / Asus Z97m-plus / Corsair Vengeance 8GB / Windows 8.1 Pro (64 bit)
mazey

Postby norkle » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:15 am

Thanks mazey - sorry should've seen the sig - we're not the same but pretty near. I'll give it another shot with disable subs ticked.
norkle

Postby norkle » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:23 pm

Ok, have tested with samples online. Refer to: http://www.auby.no/files/video_tests/

I have exactly the same result with the sample files as I do with my handbrake produced MKVs. This gives me confidence that my MKV's are ok.

'Harry Potter' and 'Shrinkage 2' play fine through PMS on my PS3, but transcode the audio from AAC to DD/AC3 (using FFMpeg as default decoder). On the other decoders, the results are as previous, always causing AAC to DD/AC3 transcoding.

Can anyone help shed some light on this? The video & audio I'm using plays fine from MP4 containers, but for some reason playing from MKV containers causes audio transcoding (sometimes video TC too).
norkle

Postby d3m0n1q_733rz » Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:54 am

Elementary my dear Norkle!
You see, within the PS3.conf file are a list of supported movie formats, their audio types, and their supported codec types. These supported formats are placed into a particular order and are read in that order to transcode into should an unsupported container or video format be found within the file you wish to play. In this case, the MKV file is not supported, and so it falls to the supported list to transcode its audio and video into a format which is supported by the PS3. Unfortunately, at the top of the supported movie type list is mpegps|mpegts. This format supports audio type of AC3. Thus, your video is being remuxed as its original AVC (MP4) and the audio is being transcoded to the supported AC3.
This leaves two options. One, either attempt to add AAC to the supported audio type for the MPEG container and find out if it works, or, two, move the MP4 line which lists AAC as its supported audio to the top of the list. Note that it will reduce 5.1 down to 2 channel audio as it's the way that it's also setup in the renderer file. I don't know why and I don't know if the PS3 actually supports more, but I don't presently have a way to test it at the moment.
d3m0n1q_733rz

Postby norkle » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:08 am

d3m0n1q_733rz wrote:This leaves two options. One, either attempt to add AAC to the supported audio type for the MPEG container and find out if it works, or, two, move the MP4 line which lists AAC as its supported audio to the top of the list. Note that it will reduce 5.1 down to 2 channel audio as it's the way that it's also setup in the renderer file. I don't know why and I don't know if the PS3 actually supports more, but I don't presently have a way to test it at the moment.

I can't match what is happening with my MP4/MKV playback to the config in the PS3.conf file (I'm using defaults, but I've tried experimenting too). There is obviously some interaction between the codecs and the file formats that isn't explained by the PS3.conf. Can you point me to where I can work that out?
norkle

PreviousNext

Return to General Help and Support