1080p Video Studder/stutter :)

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

1080p Video Studder/stutter :)

Postby goodkitty » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:30 am

For some reason my video is studdering. I'm trying to stream?/transcode? a video that is 1080p.

Cpu specs
Intel 3960x
16 gig of memory

router:
Asus ac66t router

I'm going over the wireless network to the playstation 3

Should I optimize the ps3media software for this setup?
I have it @ default settings.
goodkitty

Re: 1080p Video Studder/stutter :)

Postby meskibob » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:36 am

I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby goodkitty » Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:27 pm

I've done all of this. Maybe it's just the PS3 using 802.11G rather than N or AC?
goodkitty

Postby meskibob » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:36 pm

Yes, as the FAQ states under the minimum requirements for stutter-free playback link.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby d3m0n1q_733rz » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:33 pm

Well, it's not 100% accurate. Your PS3 can support formats that are still 1080p over Wifi, but you would have to mod the PS3 settings in the text file in the PMS program folder to use it. Essentially, you would have to tell it that any huge MPEG files need to be transcoded to something smaller. OR, you can transcode them yourself via virtualdubmod and the XVid codec or whatever to increase the B-frames and reduce their size (and possibly quality if you're not careful).
All I can really offer beyond that is to play around with it. Make a backup of the file you're working on first, then play with it to your heart's content. If you screw it up, either replace it from the copy you made or reinstall the program.
What I can tell you is to separate the LPCM and WAV at the bottom of the supported list for video:

Supported = f:flv v:flv a:mp3|lpcm|aac|wav m:video/x-flv

and add this to audio for LPCM:

Supported = f:lpcm a:lpcm n:6 s:48000 m:audio/l16

It will make it easier for it to transcode lossless audio. If you're not using DTS audio, comment it out with a #.
d3m0n1q_733rz

Postby meskibob » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:50 pm

What is inaccurate?
The listed minimum requirements in the FAQ are broken out for streaming vs remuxing vs transcoding.
Given the lack of any details provided by the OP on file properties or actual network details per the Forum Rules, nor any additional details in the OP's response, stating it's wifi is perfectly apropos.
As to modifying settings, the original FAQ post linked details configuring PMS with appropriate values for max bandwidth, output video quality, etc.
Again, what is inaccurate? If there is actually something wrong, I'd like to fix it.

As to your suggestion for LPCM/WAV recognition (which is off-topic, btw), I'd suggest trying the latest snapshot, as the latest commit fixes an issue within the code around a MIME type error for LPCM wav files.
meskibob

Postby d3m0n1q_733rz » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:07 pm

There's just a few file types that are recognized anymore that haven't been added to the program's renderer file. Just minor changes here and there as firmwares roll out. It's nothing big or whatever. But 1080p can, in theory, be streamed over wireless G, but it would have to use some very specific settings to do so. Afterall, Youtube does it.
And also, the FAQ was written in 2011.
d3m0n1q_733rz

Postby meskibob » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:16 pm

As the FAQ clearly states, wireless G can be used for streaming 1080P material, but a wired connection is recommended and necessary for any transcoding. As such, it doesn't sound like there are any actual issues with the FAQ posts regarding stuttering.
If there are issues with specific renderer conf files (e.g. content that can be streamed is actually getting remuxed/transcoded), please confirm the issue with the latest snapshot (per the Forum Rules) and then report the issue (per the Forum Rules). In addition, you have the option to propose a fix in your post, or better yet submit a commit for review.

Side notes:
Comparing the requirements to stream/remux/transcode source 1080P content on the fly with those of playing Youtube's "1080P" content is ludicrous.
The listed FAQ post was created in early 2011, but was last updated July 2013 (look at the bottom of the post).
meskibob

Postby d3m0n1q_733rz » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:45 am

meskibob wrote:As the FAQ clearly states, wireless G can be used for streaming 1080P material, but a wired connection is recommended and necessary for any transcoding. As such, it doesn't sound like there are any actual issues with the FAQ posts regarding stuttering.
If there are issues with specific renderer conf files (e.g. content that can be streamed is actually getting remuxed/transcoded), please confirm the issue with the latest snapshot (per the Forum Rules) and then report the issue (per the Forum Rules). In addition, you have the option to propose a fix in your post, or better yet submit a commit for review.

Side notes:
Comparing the requirements to stream/remux/transcode source 1080P content on the fly with those of playing Youtube's "1080P" content is ludicrous.
The listed FAQ post was created in early 2011, but was last updated July 2013 (look at the bottom of the post).

I've proven this incorrect today. A wireless connection can transfer data at a rate of approximately 1 MB (not Mb) per second. This has nothing to do with transcoding data unless your transcoded data has a bit rate of over 1024 bits/sec. Even then, it's still not entirely problematic if your PS3 is close enough as the PS3 was across the house in this case and the connection was slowed to around 5-10 Mb/sec (~1 MB) from router to PS3 and the PC was directly connected via ethernet.
The biggest problem with transcoding isn't wifi or ethernet as much as the ability for the PC to transcode the data and maintain the buffer for frames to be served.
As you get into the higher frame rates and larger picture sizes (1080P for example) your PC will be required to process more data as it sends the data to the PS3.
If you find that this is problematic for you, you can temporarily download the transcoded file as it's transcoded to your PS3 to watch without any stuttering what-so-ever by using the triangle button and selecting copy. This will take a while as the file will be a bit over 2.5 GB/hr depending on the length of the video and how much movement there is.

I will be testing the MKV container for PS3 later as I've heard mixed rumors of it working on the PS3 and it would hold several advantages over the MPEG container used by the PS3 media server by default. It should also make muxing and demuxing MUCH easier and quicker. 8-)

As far as optimization goes, try setting the cores that are used for transcoding to half of the default number as half of the cores are not really cores per-se as it uses what's called hyper threading to ready the core for the next set of data to be processed. I was running an i7 earlier today as well and made this small change and it worked flawlessly while even allowing for rewinding to earlier parts that I walked out of the room during. The biggest problem was found trying to fast forward, but it was able to maintain a 2.00x >> during an episode of Torchwood until my friend found the scene she wanted to share with us.
d3m0n1q_733rz

Return to General Help and Support