Host PC dropped from Wifi during playback

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Host PC dropped from Wifi during playback

Postby tk427 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:59 pm

Hi all, just downloaded a copy of PMS and I love it idea behind it, but I'm having connection problems.

My computer Home-PC (Running windows 7) has a copy of PMS and I'm sharing external harddrive X with it.

While watching video on PS3 via PMS, at time intervals between 10 minutes and 30 minutes, Home-PC is kicked off the Wifi and must be reconnected to the Wifi to resume playback on the PS3.

PC <- Wifi -> TP-Link TLWR1043WD <- Wifi -> PS3

Can I get some help with this pllllease? Thanks! :D
tk427

Re: Host PC dropped from Wifi during playback

Postby meskibob » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:45 pm

Sounds like an issue with your router or with your PC's wifi NIC. Try updating the NIC drivers on your PC, updating the firmware on your router, or try a different router.
Beyond that, can't really help you, as this is outside the scope of this forum.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby tk427 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:06 am

Thanks for the feedback. I though it might've been something to do with PMS as the computer never drops connection normaly. I'll check it out.
tk427

Postby d3m0n1q_733rz » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:20 pm

Well, two things I can think of: 1) If possible, I always recommend DD-WRT on routers that are supported. But that's just because it offers a lot of additional features and advanced functions.
2) It's possible that your computer's network card is entering what is known as PSP or Power Saver mode which will reduce power output and possibly even disconnect the NIC. However, it shouldn't do so as it's sending packets. I would change the beacon setting to 66 and see if that helps. Default is generally 100. Be careful with this setting if you have Apple devices connected as they like to destroy your wifi connection for non-default beacons and DTIM intervals.
d3m0n1q_733rz

Return to General Help and Support