XBox 360 Unplayable Content - AVI transcode broken?

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

XBox 360 Unplayable Content - AVI transcode broken?

Postby Lakmir » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:41 am

Hey, so I've been fighting with getting PS3 Media Server to stream properly to my XBox 360 for a while. Thanks to the thread at viewtopic.php?f=6&t=17109 I seem to have successfully resolved a lot of my issues with MKV files; thanks, resque1980! That said, I'm still having similar problems with several AVI files. Checking the file's codec data in VLC reports that the video is "MS MPEG-4 Video v3 (DIV3)" while the audio is "MPEG Audio layer 1/2/3 (mpga)."

Here's a debug.log output:
http://pastebin.com/QCAqL9fM

The error the 360 is reporting is the standard "Unplayable Content" error with code 69-C00D3E98. It appears to try to transcode (shows "Opening" at the top of the screen as per usual) but throws up the error as soon as the video would usually start playing.

Any help would be appreciated!
Lakmir

Re: XBox 360 Unplayable Content - AVI transcode broken?

Postby d3m0n1q_733rz » Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:06 am

DIV3 is a variation of the DivX codec which is non-standard and is unsupported by almost all players. Yes, it might play well on your PC, but it probably won't play at all on other hardware. With that said, you can transcode it entirely to a newer version of DivX via something like VirtualdubMod without losing any quality as long as you have the divx codec installed and it will handle it. If it doesn't handle it, try XVid. I hope this helps.
d3m0n1q_733rz

Re: XBox 360 Unplayable Content - AVI transcode broken?

Postby Lakmir » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:29 pm

Well, that's just it - PS3 Media Server plays it fine on a PS3. I don't strictly mind using my PS3 to play these, but I use my 360 for just about everything else and it's kind of a pain to switch consoles just for one set of videos. A small pain, but still. I also have several hundred of these totaling over 100GB, and I'd really rather not have to manually convert the lot of them if I can avoid it.
Lakmir

Return to General Help and Support