Cannot play a single video

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Cannot play a single video

Postby soopergal » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:42 am

Hello folks,

Please forgive my ignorance since I am a total newbie. Here is my situation -

I have installed the latest version of PMS on Linux Mint 15 and I am trying to play videos on my PMS from my windows 8 laptop using VLC/XBMC/Plex/Windows Media Player etc.

All of them can see (some) folders but NONE of them can play any of the videos.

I also see that the WMP.conf file has video = false, audio = false , is there a reason why it is set like that? If I edit them to 'true' will it play using WMP?

Please let me know if additional information is needed.

I am at my wit's end trying to google, search this forum.. i dont understand what the problem is...

Any and all your help is greatly appreciated....
soopergal

Re: Cannot play a single video

Postby d3m0n1q_733rz » Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:41 am

This is an interesting question which can have quite a few problems involved. For one, Windows 8 usually requires a certain level of security for any networked devices which may or may not be included in PMS. I would look at those settings you mentioned and what they pertain to. You can always set them back afterward. Pay particular attention to the formats which they transcode to. Ensure that they're formats which WMP can handle. Before any of that, though, you may need to enable the device in WMP settings or in the shared media settings of Windows 8.

Edit: Actually, I just looked at the WMP.conf file myself. -_- It's all sorts of messed-up. It's set to transcode WMP's native format! That's right, someone told it to transcode WMV, WMA, and basically anything it was designed to play into MPEGs and MP3s. F.F.S. people!
d3m0n1q_733rz

Postby mazey » Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:46 am

the wmp.conf is just a dummy file as its never worked.. so what is supported is irrelevant. if you could get it working we will update the official conf. but right now its just set so ps3 media server doesnt keep detecting a unknown render.

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=16944
PMS 1.90.2 SNAPSHOT - HP Proliant Microserver N54L 2.2Ghz - Windows Home Server 2011 (64bit) 8GB - Bravia KDL55HX750
mazey

Postby d3m0n1q_733rz » Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:00 am

Roger that. I'll see what I can do. It'll take a few days since the Windows 8 PC is out of town at the moment. If it can be done, I'll get it done. :lol:
d3m0n1q_733rz

Return to General Help and Support