FLAC playback still not working

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Re: FLAC playback still not working

Postby d3m0n1q_733rz » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:01 am

Results!
Comment out all lines pertaining to WAV. Just put a big ole' # next to them. They're useless and will only cause problems. Next, move that LPCM line to the top of the list. They go in order and LPCM needs to be first.
Next, as to your question, the PS3 can only handle 16-bit LPCM data up to 48 Khz in either file form or over network which is a little strange since it can apparently output at much higher frequencies. But there's your answer.
d3m0n1q_733rz

Postby mazey » Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:34 am

d3m0n1q_733rz wrote:Results!
Comment out all lines pertaining to WAV. Just put a big ole' # next to them. They're useless and will only cause problems. Next, move that LPCM line to the top of the list. They go in order and LPCM needs to be first.
Next, as to your question, the PS3 can only handle 16-bit LPCM data up to 48 Khz in either file form or over network which is a little strange since it can apparently output at much higher frequencies. But there's your answer.

again.. this has been fixed in the next version, use a snapshot build and you wont have to do anything apart from copy 1 file across until then. this way we can test it works 100% before the next release.

please use the snapshot build, some changes were made fixing this until the next version comes out.

https://github.com/ps3mediaserver/ps3me ... 5a8a48ac49

this should be the end of the flac playback problem unless the snapshot build does not work for you.
PMS 1.90.2 Snapshot - Intel Celeron G1840 2.8Ghz / Asus Z97m-plus / Corsair Vengeance 8GB / Windows 8.1 Pro (64 bit)
mazey

Postby Raptor399 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:30 pm

I agree with mazey.
It would be nice to learn if the committed fix actually works for you.
Raptor399
Project Member

Postby d3m0n1q_733rz » Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:39 am

I can tell you that the snapshot build didn't work for me. Otherwise, I would have said that it was fixed in the snapshot build. All the snapshot build replaces is the .jar file which isn't the problem. Now, if the snapshot somehow magically works for other people, okay. But I've simply told how to fix the problem with the current stable build which I have working on three separate occasions and two separate PCs.
d3m0n1q_733rz

Postby meskibob » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:26 am

You're modifying the renderer conf file, which may cure the symptom, but isn't actually the root cause. The latest snapshot attempts to fix it by fixing the MIME type matching code (that's in the compiled snapshot jar), but it also adds a significant amount of logging to aid in troubleshooting. As I told you earlier, if you're having an issue, follow the Forum Rules to report the issue.
In this case, that would be mean:
  1. apply the latest snapshot
  2. enable the Trace mode of the debug.log - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3507&p=38484#pms-faq-trace-log
  3. make sure you're using the default renderer conf file - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3507&p=32731#pms-faq-reset-pms
  4. attempt to play a FLAC file, confirm that it fails, and then post the debug.log file
Please do this so the issue can actually be identified and fixed.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby Raptor399 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:17 am

Exactly what meskibob said.

Since I'm not the King of FLACs myself, I have tried to give you tools in the snapshot build to make a more detailed analysis yourself. Enable TRACE logging and you should be able to observe the effect of the "Supported" lines in the conf much better. This should aid us in nailing the problem. Thanks for your aid so far! :-)
Raptor399
Project Member

Postby themonkeymixer » Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:52 am

I checked the logging and found on Linux that I didnt have ffmpeg installed
themonkeymixer

Postby pv3 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:38 pm

I just downloaded PMS 1.90.1 as I was looking for something to stream a FLAC library to PS3.
I was disappointed to find this didn't work, but then found this thread.

d3m0n1q_733rz's mod didn't work for me, so I installed the snapshot. That didn't work either.
What did work was the snapshot with d3m0n1q_733rz's mod.

I examined the SOAP responses being sent back from PMS to the PS3 and found the only difference to be:
Without d3m0n1q_733rz's mod the following attribute is sent in the <res> tag (which does NOT work with my PS3):
protocolInfo="http-get:*:audio/wav:DLNA.ORG_OP=10"
With d3m0n1q_733rz's mod the following attribute is sent in the <res> tag (which DOES work with my PS3):
protocolInfo="http-get:*:audio/l16;rate=48000;channels=2:DLNA.ORG_OP=10"

So it looks like the attribute builder for "wav" may not be building a valid string.
Hope this helps.
pv3

Postby richieb1971 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:35 pm

This successfully worked for me.

Had to enable read/write on the file to save it and change the lines as specified and it worked straight away.

I took the 48khz option off and got background noise. Would be nice if we could hear the files in their original format on the PS3.

Thanks to the people for this helpful and resourceful thread.
richieb1971

Postby dcoolidge » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:18 am

Thank you! This has been bugging me for a while. I even started ripping cds in uncompressed wav. This worked great!
dcoolidge

Previous

Return to General Help and Support