Looking for low-maintenance setup

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Looking for low-maintenance setup

Postby ncfoster » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:12 pm

Hi all,

I am running Windows 7 64-bit on an older machine in my basement that is used only occasionally for light desktop work. I am trying to figure out how to make this program low maintenance, which seems to be a constant battle. My use case is 99% streaming of FLAC files to my PS3, running the program as a service (because I don't want to have to worry about logging in because it restarted for updates, etc.). What I have found is that over time, I cannot seem to get this thing to work without constant maintenance. It seems as if there are several points of failure:

- Reliance on java
- Quirky behavior with firewalls
- General bugs and regressions within the program

These three factors working together leave me wasting way too much time getting things back to a working configuration when one thing goes wrong. Say java updates on its own, which it likes to do. It seems like the firewall exceptions will not always persist. And since getting firewall exceptions to work on 64-bit Windows is quite a confusing proposition, I find myself going through the same steps over and over. What works once does not always seem to work. I've added all nature of exceptions set up in countless ways, let the program/java run as administrator (which I am really hesitant to do, since that seems like a major security hole), uninstalled and re-installed the program...uninstalled and reinstalled VLC...uninstalled and reinstalled Java...and surely many other things that I've forgotten.

Right now, I am at the position of running the latest version 1.90.1, and I have reached the point where my PS3 and PS3 Media Server are communicating, but FLAC files won't transcode. I can't seem to get anywhere with this issue.

Since I only want the program to do one thing, and do it properly, I just want some advice on the best way to set things up...what version of the program, and whether there is any way to avoid the problems with java and firewall. I have considered running "without a net" with no software firewall, and turning off all java updates, but that seems like a bad idea. I am not even sure that recent versions of java will let you run them indefinitely.

If there is no way to avoid this, I think I may have to move on to a different program. Any thoughts on what would meet my needs? Does anyone have experience with the pay version of Media Monkey for streaming FLAC files?
ncfoster

Return to General Help and Support