PS3 and mp4 with aac

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

PS3 and mp4 with aac

Postby Marj » Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:27 pm

First off just switched from TVersity to PSM and I find PSM to be an amazing server, and am happy I switched.

Anyway, just wanted to post a little fix I discovered to help anyone else who may need it. The PS3config file under supported video formats for whatever reason has the number of supported aac channels capped at 2. I found all my video files with 5.1 channel aac transcoding. The simple solution was to delete the n:2 and BAM, life's all good and my files play without a hitch.

If anyone else is having this problem, you now have a solution...

Marj
Marj

Re: PS3 and mp4 with aac

Postby Raptor399 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:29 pm

Thanks for the heads up!

I felt like investigating this a little more as it appeared that PMS was making some decisions that seemed wrong in my eye.
To start debugging, I added an extra line to DLNAResource.java:

Code: Select all
            logger.info("Starting transcode/remux of " + getName());
            logger.info(getMedia().toString());    // Debug media info

Then I played one of my testing m4v files that PMS indicated it would transcode with MEncoder. The debug.log said (edited for readability):

container: mp4 / bitrate: 612965 / size: 525234374 / codecV: h264 / duration: 01:54:15.00 /
   width: 720 / height: 544 / frameRate: 25.000 / thumb size : 1587 / muxingMode: null
   audio: id=0 / lang: en / flavor: null / codec: aac / sf:48000 / na: 2 / bs: 16
   sub: id=0 / lang: und / flavor: null / type: UNKNOWN

This info means the file matches this supported line in the PS3.conf:

Supported = f:mp4             v:mp4|h264               a:aac                m:video/mp4   n:2

At first sight anyway. A second look shows there is a subtitle contained in the file, and the PS3 cannot handle those.
That is probably why PMS decided to transcode it using MEncoder. Which is correct IMHO.

On a side note: I didn't see any subtitle, and with type 'UNKNOWN' maybe PMS shouldn't take this particular subtitle track into account. Without subtitle the file could have been streamed, which is preferable over being transcoded. Looks like the decision logic in PMS could use a review.

But to unhijack the thread and get back to your post: I don't have any aac mp4's with 5.1 sound, so I haven't been able to replay your findings yet.
Raptor399
Project Member

Return to General Help and Support