Windows 7 - Windows Firewall issues

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Windows 7 - Windows Firewall issues

Postby IcyStorm » Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:20 am

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
PS3 Media Server 1.90.0
PS3 is connected to primary router (Actiontec, VZ FiOS); primary router is connected to secondary Belkin via wired (DHCP disabled); computer with PMS is connected to secondary router via WiFi

Trying to stream to the PS3 from my desktop, but PMS gives me the no renderers were found message. I've narrowed it down to Windows Firewall.

When I have Windows Firewall disabled, it works. When it's on, it doesn't. I've allowed the port (5001 for TCP on inbound and outbound), javaw.exe, wrapper.exe, and PMS.exe but it still doesn't work. I've also tried directly allowing all connections with the PS3's IP, but no dice.

What am I doing wrong?
IcyStorm

Re: Windows 7 - Windows Firewall issues

Postby code2 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:09 pm

I had the same problem after I upgraded from PS3MS 1.82. It looks like PS3MS 1.90 includes Java and javaw.exe was installed into "C:\Program Files (x86)\PS3 Media Server\jre64\bin" for a x64 system. So, my javaw.exe inbound firewall rule was pointing to the wrong location.

I deleted all existing firewall rules and simply created one inbound rule for javaw.exe by going to the Programs and Service tab for the firewall rule then specifying the program as "%ProgramFiles% (x86)\PS3 Media Server\jre64\bin\javaw.exe". I left every other firewall rule setting as default. Nothing was done on my router. I didn't create any other inbound or outbound rules for PS3MS. And, it worked. Now I can see PS3MS on my PS3 and WDTV. Hope this helps.
code2

Postby IcyStorm » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:00 pm

No luck (that was already allowed), but thanks for the attempt.
IcyStorm

Postby meskibob » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:07 pm

Have you tried deleting ALL your firewall rules and then starting fresh? Most-likely you have some other rule that is in conflict. Unfortunately I don't know of a way to list all firewall rules in effect, so there isn't an easy way for someone else to help you review your existing rules and isolate the issue.

Edit: you should be able to save your current config and then reset to default per the following - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff428142(v=ws.10).aspx
You could also try looking at the firewall events in Event Viewer.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby code2 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:29 pm

The site I went to download the PS3MS 1.90 update only provided the Java Runtime Environment (JRE) included setup file. Once I installed the JRE included setup file I couldn't see PS3MS on any of my media players, nor did PS3MS log show that it detected any of my media players. I actually uninstalled Java, uninstalled PS3MS, deleted the PMS folder in ProgramData, then installed the PS3MS + JRE setup file for a clean install, and setup that one firewall rule I mentioned above. I just noticed on sourceforge that there is a PS3MS setup file without JRE included. Maybe try that one if you have Java already installed on your system. I would try uninstalling PS3MS and deleting the PMS.conf file in ProgramData to start a fresh install using the Non-JRE install file. Setup the firewall rules that you created with the previous PS3MS version you were using and see if it works. It's a long shot, but may work.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/ps3medi ... e/download.
code2

Postby IcyStorm » Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:00 am

meskibob wrote:Have you tried deleting ALL your firewall rules and then starting fresh? Most-likely you have some other rule that is in conflict. Unfortunately I don't know of a way to list all firewall rules in effect, so there isn't an easy way for someone else to easily help you review your existing rules and isolate the issue.

Edit: you should be able to save your current config and then reset to default per the following - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff428142(v=ws.10).aspx
You could also try looking at the firewall events in Event Viewer.

Didn't think to do that, and guess what? It worked! I didn't have any other custom rules so this is fine; I don't mind pressing Allow for all of my programs once again.

Thanks so much!
IcyStorm

Postby meskibob » Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:40 am

Glad to hear.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Return to General Help and Support