Problem with subtitles

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Problem with subtitles

Postby Mcmac » Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:41 pm

Recently I purchased a sony tv, kdl-32w650a model, which contains sony entertainment network, so i assumed that it works well with the ps3 media server. and indeed it does, with one problem: unless the subtitle is included in the file (i tried with an mkv that had it included), it won't show subtitles. i name the files the same, so it should load it automatically, but it doesn't. there is a button dedicated to subs on the remote, but it does nothing, unless the sub is in the mkv file, then i can turn it on or off.
any ideas how to fix the issue?
Mcmac

Re: Problem with subtitles

Postby Raptor399 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:07 pm

Unless I'm mistaking, the external subtitle files will not be sent to your TV. So pressing the button on the remote will not do anything.

Instead, PMS should automatically pick up subtitle files and "burn" them into the video before sending the transcoded result to the TV.
You can recognize that this is going to happen when your TV shows the words "{external subtitles}" behind the video title.

If there is no "{external subtitles}", PMS either did not recognize any subtitle files (are they named exactly the same?), or subs were disabled.
Raptor399
Project Member

Return to General Help and Support