Sound problems with mkv's

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Sound problems with mkv's

Postby unabatedshagie » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:16 pm

I have 4 mkv files.

The video on all 4 play fine but the sound is broken on all 4. The sound sounds like white noise.

I'm running build 1.10.625 on Windows 7 beta build 7068 if that makes any difference.

I would post the debug.log but I don't seem to be able to locate it.
unabatedshagie

Re: Sound problems with mkv's

Postby mazinga » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:30 am

Unless you are sending the audio from the PS3 to a DTS capable receiver, you will have to use a free program called MKV2VOB. Check the box that says älways transcode DTS to AC3" and the program will turn the file into an AVC + AC3 file. It works very fast (just a couple minutes) and does not affect the video.
mazinga

Postby unabatedshagie » Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:15 pm

Strange thing is the files used to work with a previous build of PS3MS, my settings haven't changed.

My receiver has the DTS logo on it so I would assume that it can playback DTS.

The sound doesn't work with Keep DTS audio in stream checked or un-checked.

I don't know if this is a problem with the recent 2.7 firmware update for the PS3, an issue with the newest build of PS3MS, I think there was an update to java recently (I'm running Java 6 Update 13)
unabatedshagie

Postby Uridium » Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:54 pm

Double check audio options on PS3 when playing the file. Make sure both left+Right are enabled and volume is set in middle as "normal" any other setting in here will cause white noise. 99.9% of the time the PS3 audio settings (from the triangle button during playback) are the cause of this.
Uridium

Postby unabatedshagie » Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:56 pm

Hmmm, the new firmware update must have changed some settings.

Changed audio settings to left+right (was on left) and everything is working again. :)
unabatedshagie

Return to General Help and Support