Problems Combining Video and Audio Files

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Problems Combining Video and Audio Files

Postby Ulvirfaust » Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:48 am

I've been using PSM for years but this is the first time I've run into a problem that I couldn't figure out for myself. I found the full Japanese Transformers:Headmasters show with English overdubbed audio. My problem is the English audio is in a separate MP3 file from the video. Each episode has, for example, EPISODETITLE.avi, EPISODETITLE.mp3 and EPISODETITLE.srt, I've been able to get the subtitles to work but I'd rather hear English MP3 audio than the regular Japanese audio (and I HATE reading movies or TV! LOL). I've racked my brain and looked all over for a way to get the MP3 audio to play along with the AVI file as it streams to my PS3. When I tried to watch an episode on my PC in WMP, it will let me use the MP3 file audio and they play fine together, works flawlessly. (I'd just watch it on the PC but I have a tiny monitor in a cramped, little room - why I started using PSM in the first place). I'm not very well versed in the transcoding lingo or muxing and all that, but I'm sure I could add a script or something to one of the encoders if somebody knew what to use. Anyways, I'm hoping this is a simple problem to fix for someone with some knowledge since it seems like I wouldn't be the first person to run into a problem like this. Hope this all made sense, it's pretty late and I've devoted most of my night to trying to figure this out and I'm pretty tired. Anyways, thanks in advance to anyone who can help out, I'll really appreciate it...
Ulvirfaust

Re: Problems Combining Video and Audio Files

Postby Raptor399 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:19 am

PMS is not suited to do this kind of audio replacement.

However, it is shipped with FFmpeg, which can be used to do just about anything with media files. Without knowing the exact details, I'm pretty sure you can use FFmpeg to add your English audio track to the movie and create a new media file that contains both tracks.

Once you have that new media file, you can play that via PMS.

Just google how to add audio with FFmpeg.
Raptor399
Project Member

Re: Problems Combining Video and Audio Files

Postby Ulvirfaust » Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:42 pm

Thanks for the suggestion but I was hoping for being able to do it on the fly, since I've got quite a number of these video files with the separate audio tracks. It sounds here like I'd have to use FFmpeg to somehow combine these files and then view them. I was hoping to have PMS automatically find the proper audio track if it's present, since both the video and the mp3 track have the same name, example; FirstVideo.avi and FirstVideo.mp3, SecondVideo.avi and SecondVideo.mp3, and so on.. (Similar to how it can automatically find the proper subtitle SRT file, for example.) I noticed in a comment left somewhere else that VLC can do this but VLC doesn't seem to work well with PMS and I can't get it to work at all with my PMS. Does anyone else have any thoughts?
Ulvirfaust

Return to General Help and Support