Proper way to update PS3 Media Server

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Proper way to update PS3 Media Server

Postby fall3n » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:25 am

Now, I've been looking and looking for the past week on how to properly update PMS and I cannot, for the life of me, find an answer. I pretty much want to remove all traces of it and start from scratch without a reload of Windows. And if possible or if required on how I can update the engines as well (MEncoder, TSmuxer, FFmpeg).

Also, just out of curiosity, is AviSynth/FFmpeg and AviSynth/MEncoder required? (An answer to this would be nice, but definitely not needed, unless it is needed for PMS to work right/better)

I have Windows 7 (64-bit) and I want to update to the latest 1.82 with as little problems as possible. I've had issues in the past where I would update to the latest at that time and I only got errors, or i can't get playback on devices that once worked.

Any help would be great.
fall3n

Re: Proper way to update PS3 Media Server

Postby mazey » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:49 am

well i just make sure i quit ps3 media server so its not running then install the new version, i dont uninstall the old version and i have been doing it like that for years with no problems.

as for AviSynth/FFmpeg and AviSynth/MEncoder they are not running so are fine to leave them off unless you wish u add the extra stuff then you need to enable those, they are fine off on default settings. if you ever want to do a clean reinstall back to default settings all you need to do is delete the pms.conf file in c:\programdata\pms folder.

sometimes with new updates it might break things they usually get fixed in the next release, it seems that way with alot of programs, one thing breaks another is fixed usually when new stuff is added it breaks things that once worked. best thing to do if a new update breaks a feature is to report it so the devs can fix it.
PMS 1.90.2 Snapshot - Intel Celeron G1840 2.8Ghz / Asus Z97m-plus / Corsair Vengeance 8GB / Windows 8.1 Pro (64 bit)
mazey

Re: Proper way to update PS3 Media Server

Postby fall3n » Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:51 pm

Thank you. I have found a thread to remove all traces of PMS (viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12016) and after that I installed 1.82.0. Everything is working properly, except when I stream a MKV file to my Xbox 360. For the most part, it is all in sync, but when the video is in between 80-95 percent complete, the audio starts to lag behind a small amount, up to a second or two. Then it randomly catches up and finishes the video in sync.

Has anyone seen anything like this with the newest update?
fall3n

Return to General Help and Support