Streaming with one couputer and two (2) PS3 systems

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Streaming with one couputer and two (2) PS3 systems

Postby savagepix » Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:59 pm

First off, apologies if this is covered elsewhere on the forum, but the search terminology on this makes it difficult to pinpoint an answer. I want to know if I can stream media from my MacPro desktop to two PS3's located in different rooms. I can enable either PS3 to recognize my desktop computer, but not both at the same time. The PS3's have wireless connections to a Verizion Fios router. The ground floor computer is connected to the third floor router with a gadget that uses the home's 120v wiring system (the wireless connection between computer and router is too weak to use).

While it would be convenient to be able to stream to the two PS3 boxes simultaneously, I would just like to have each PS3 be able recognize and access the one computer so I don't have to reconfigure things each time I switch rooms.
savagepix

Re: Streaming with one couputer and two (2) PS3 systems

Postby ssjwizard » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:16 pm

Turn off DHCP on the second router. Most likely if you cant see the PC from PS3 #2 and its upstairs on a second wireless router its because it has created its own subnetwork. While getting out the the internet is fine in this situation the internal network stuff can get garbled up easily. Provided you have enough CPU to back the potential transcoding and sufficient network bandwidth to carry the streams its no problem streaming to multiple devices at once. If you do this regularly you will also want to either lower the buffer size OR raise the java heap size for PMS to ensure it doesnt run into memory overflow errors.
ssjwizard

Postby savagepix » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:58 am

There is only one router in use on the top floor of the house. The downstairs computer connects to it with the device that plugs into the electrical outlet there and to the router on the other end upstairs.
savagepix

Postby gordon451 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:02 pm

Hi - I've just worked thru the extensive notes in otmanix's "PS3 Media Server Tutorial/FAQ" in this forum.

You need to have multiple accounts on your box: I'm running 4 accounts on W7HPx64, looking at 1 PS3 slim on Wireless and a PS3 superslim on Cat5. The default PMS shortcuts will not work this magic, we have to use the .bat file they so thoughtfully provide.

You need one profile for each PS3, and make sure you give them separate ports to work on: so, in each account create a new folder "C:\Users\***\AppData\Roaming\PMS", and copy the PMS.conf and the "database" folder from "C:\ProgramData\PMS".

Edit each PMS.conf to point at the required PS3. You'll need to change [port = pppp], [ip_filter =192.168.1.8] and [uuid = 0f42a439-d839-4e37-929f-6dff07352cde]. It is very important that each PS3 sees its own port/uuid combo. So:
Code: Select all
thumbnails = true
thumbnails = true
image_thumbnails = true
alternativeffmpegpath = C:\\Program Files (x86)\\PS3 Media Server\\win32\\dvrms\\ffmpeg_MPGMUX.exe
mencoder_ass = true
mencoder_fontconfig = true
mencoder_ass_defaultstyle = true
uuid = 0f42a439-d839-4e37-929f-6dff07352***
folders = E:\\Completed Downloads
prevents_sleep_mode = true
auto_update = false
renderer_default =Playstation 3
http_engine_v2 = false
audio_thumbnails_method = 2
usecache = true
hide_media_library_folder = true
network_interface = eth3
ip_filter =192.168.1.8
tsmuxer_mux_all_audiotracks = true
maximumbitrate = 0
renderer_force_default = false
port = 5001

I did not need to adjust the port for this PS3/user...

Now you need to create new .bat files in "C:\Program Files (x86)\PS3 Media Server\", one for each account. This is my file:
Code: Select all
@echo off
start javaw -Xmx768M -Dpms.profile.path=C:\Users\***\AppData\Roaming\PMS\PMS.conf -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true -Dfile.encoding=UTF-8 -classpath update.jar;pms.jar net.pms.PMS

Now create shortcuts to the .bat files in the appropriate "C:\Users\***\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs" folder, and don't forget to adjust the owner of each .bat file and the shortcuts in the Security tab!

This serves both PS3's simultaneously, since each is in its own virtually sandboxed environment, as different users. When you click the shortcut, the Command Prompt will flash up and disappear, and PMS will start a second or so later.

If you want to stream one program to both PS3's at once, switch on both PS3's first, then use the default PMS shortcut. PMS will see both PS3's and serve to both of them, no matter which one you use to start the session.

Have fun!

EDIT: BTW, I have disabled UPnP on my machine, and I recommend everyone should do this. I dunno how the procedure above will go if UPnP is enabled... :cry:

Gordon.
Gigabyte H61M-USB3-B3 r2.0, I5-2400 3.10GHz, 4GB RAM; W7HPx64 SP1, PMS 1.90.1, VLC 2.0.3, JRE 7u45 x64 x86, Avast! 7.0.1466
gordon451

Return to General Help and Support