No Audio with VLC Encoder on PS3

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Re: No Audio with VLC Encoder on PS3

Postby mastro » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:46 pm

I did some testing too.

I reproduced the AC3 issue you describe and went a little further in understanding why the mp2 is not played.

According to the VLC streaming features page:
https://www.videolan.org/streaming-features.html

the PS output doesn't support anything else then AC3. Which means mp2 and aac are NOT supported using PS.

Following this hint I changed the code to use mp2a and TS as output method.
My video played perfectly.

I don't know if this can break things on other platforms but it surely works for me.

Now that I started to dirt my hands on the code I'll test with other video formats too ;)
mastro

Postby mastro » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:48 pm

Oh, I noticed another issue

If you do not override the sample rate it may give 0 as sample rate provoking a very weird effect with AC3 audio
mastro

Postby chocolateboy » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:00 pm

mastro wrote:According to the VLC streaming features page:
https://www.videolan.org/streaming-features.html

the PS output doesn't support anything else then AC3. Which means mp2 [is] NOT supported using PS.

Read it again :-) (or see here).

Following this hint I changed the code to use mp2a and TS as output method.

You don't need to change the code to do that: PS3.conf -> TranscodeVideo -> MPEGTSAC3.

I don't know if this can break things on other platforms but it surely works for me.

Bear in mind, this is an issue with that video (and, possibly, some similarly-encoded source videos), not with the PS3 and all videos transcoded/remuxed to MPEG-PS/MP2. That combination is supported by all compliant DLNA renderers, including the PS3. Apart from an unrelated issue with MPEG-2-incompatible framerates, that combination works fine for me and presumably everyone else who uses the VLC engine.

My guess is that it's an issue with VLC's HE-AAC decoder, possibly in conjunction with VLC/ffmpeg's GPU acceleration (which is buggy), but it's hard to tell without a sample of the video.
chocolateboy
Project Member

Previous

Return to General Help and Support