PS3 media server stuttering/skipping on Great Quality

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

PS3 media server stuttering/skipping on Great Quality

Postby BigBrownPimpsta » Wed May 15, 2013 6:10 am

Hi guys,

Using PS3 server on and off, I can't find an app that does dts streaming. A few weeks ago, I had it working fine streaming on great quality for MKVs with a DTS-HD track. Looked and played fine on my PS3. However, I cannot get it to do so. I upgraded to the latest version with no improvement here's what I tried:

- Increase the java heapsize to 1536mb
- Max out the buffer to 600mb
- Scale down to good quality, which seems ok but picture/sound quality noticeably drops.

Before anyone says "my setup is crap", here is the following:

- Linksys E2700 gigabit router, running Cat 5e (distance is about 10ft to the living room)
- Computer is i7 3930k (6-Core), 32gb, 180gb Intel 520 SSD, GTX 460, 3TB Seagate Barracuda, X-Fi Titanium HD

I find the application is really finicky, my network speeds are fine all around but this application tends act up very often. Any other ideas on how to get great quality working or even best? Most of my files are 9-12GB MKVs with 5.1 DTS tracks.
BigBrownPimpsta

Re: PS3 media server stuttering/skipping on Great Quality

Postby meskibob » Wed May 15, 2013 10:38 am

I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby BigBrownPimpsta » Wed May 15, 2013 4:49 pm

Installed universal media server, same thing and works perfect on maxed out settings.
BigBrownPimpsta

Postby zprewitt » Thu May 16, 2013 5:24 am

So basically, I'm seeing two reponses to this issue, which seems to be pretty widespread at this point: Read the FAQ (which I have, it hasn't helped), or try UMS, which, I have found, has all of the same issues.
zprewitt

Postby BigBrownPimpsta » Thu May 16, 2013 4:03 pm

zprewitt wrote:So basically, I'm seeing two reponses to this issue, which seems to be pretty widespread at this point: Read the FAQ (which I have, it hasn't helped), or try UMS, which, I have found, has all of the same issues.

I tried a bunch of stuff on the FAQ over the last 1-2 years. I find it rarely ever helps. Going from wireless to gigabit Ethernet did nothing either. There's something up. UMS did work in one shot, which has the same options and interface.
BigBrownPimpsta

Postby meskibob » Thu May 16, 2013 4:15 pm

Are you transcoding or remuxing (in both PMS and UMS)?
UMS still has (AFAIK) the auto-remux function. PMS removed that feature due to compatibility issues with several files and tsMuxeR. As the FAQ states, you need to use tsMuxeR via the #Transcode# folder (or change your engine priorities) if you just want to remux.
Note: just removing one bottleneck (eg network bandwidth) doesn't mean there isn't another one. All of options in the FAQ (which is just a compilation of all known solutions) need to be addressed.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby BigBrownPimpsta » Thu May 16, 2013 4:20 pm

meskibob wrote:Are you transcoding or remuxing (in both PMS and UMS)?
UMS still has (AFAIK) the auto-remux function. PMS removed that feature due to compatibility issues with several files and tsMuxeR. As the FAQ states, you need to use tsMuxeR via the #Transcode# folder (or change your engine priorities) if you just want to remux.
Note: just removing one bottleneck (eg network bandwidth) doesn't mean there isn't another one. All of options in the FAQ (which is just a compilation of all known solutions) need to be addressed.

Lined up the setting as I had with PS3 media server... no remixing I believe from what I see on my settings. Of course there are bottle necks. Its strange the same settings on PS3 media server work at one time and then later on just stop when I haven't reinstall the program or modified settings.
BigBrownPimpsta

Postby meskibob » Thu May 16, 2013 4:27 pm

To confirm, all devices are correctly set to use the wired connection, and they are truly wired connections (not going through powerline adapters or anything like that)?
meskibob

Return to General Help and Support