Fails to bind when IP is forced

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Fails to bind when IP is forced

Postby mike_pants » Tue May 14, 2013 3:23 am

I kept getting connection problems when too many devices in my apartment were being used (whether or not this was related is up for discussion) so I assigned a static IP address to the PS3 and entered into into the General Configuration tab, "Force IP of the server." PMS will search forever is the IP address is entered in that field, but if it is removed, it finds it immediately.

What am I not understanding about forcing IP addresses?
mike_pants

Re: Fails to bind when IP is forced

Postby meskibob » Tue May 14, 2013 3:32 am

The PS3 isn't the server. If you're going to force an address, it needs to be the (correct) IP of the machine running PMS.
Follow the FAQ if you need additional assistance - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3507&start=20#p34933
However, there shouldn't be a need to force the IP. Connection problems with too many devices sounds like a router issue.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby mike_pants » Tue May 14, 2013 3:33 am

Good to know, thanks.

And I've been through that FAQ a lot. It is generally useless unless you have a solid background in networking. Someone would do well to re-write the thing in plain English.
mike_pants

Postby meskibob » Tue May 14, 2013 12:27 pm

The FAQ contains concise help points for what to check, but unfortunately there are many things to check. Adding in all the cursory information (eg how to figure out your IP address, how to use the command prompt, how to open your router settings, how to configure your firewall, etc) would make the post far too large/cumbersome to be navigated cleanly. In addition, most items on there are easily resolved through Google searches, and you can also ask for clarification/help here on the forum.
However, if you have any recommendations for how to make any of the points more clear, I'm open to hearing them.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Return to General Help and Support