I've been digging around the forums for a while and randomly found a solution to my issue on Windows 7
Setup: Wired router connecting computer, PS3, and LG television. Playback would go computer -> router -> PS3 -> receiver -> TV
Seemingly out of nowhere, playback would stop and the PS3 would come up with a media server error. Javaw.exe (which was usually running around 200,000k on memory via the task manager) would be pegged at over 800,000k and PMS had crashed, either unresponsive or blackscreened. Ctrl-alt-del everything and restart everything would work for a little bit but it would crash again.
I finally found something that works. The two things might be related, so try either or both if java keeps freezing and crashing.
Increase Java heap size
- In your PS3 Media Server file tree, find the PMS batch file, PMS.bat
- Right click / Edit ...
- Where it says "start javaw -Xmx728m .... " I changed the value to -Xmx3072m. I believe this increases the java heap size to 3GB. I noticed that Java would crash once memory used got over that initial 700m limit. I have 32GB of ram, so 3GB should work just fine, and I believe that 4GB is the most that 32bit Java can use at all.
- Save and close
Whitelist your devices
- Start / find CMD / right click and run as administrator
- Type ipconfig to find your IP4 setting of your computer. Mine was 192.168.1.102
- Start PMS. Check the Traces tab and look for IP addresses. If your PS3 is found, it will list it's IP address. Mine was 192.168.1.101.
- In the General Configuration tab, set "Force IP of the server" to your computer's IP address.
- Set "Use an IP filter (whitelist):" to both your PS3 and your computer's IP address. I used, "192.168.1.101, 192.168.1.102"
- This will ensure that PMS only sees your computer and the PS3 for comms.
Before the whitelist, I would check the traces tab and see random comms to a 192.168.1.106 address with a bunch of failures and Startplayback and Stopplayback errors, cannot read picture files that weren't being used, and a bunch of other errors. I found another thread that says that LG smart TVs would mess with PMS.
Anyway, I did these things and now I can playback a full movie. Network utilization is way down, and javaw.exe is only using around 100,000k memory. I'm sure only whitelisting IP addresses would have worked without increasing the java heap size, but there ya go. If any of this is technically wrong, it's because I'm just tinkering. Feel free to correct.