Java crashes and will stop playback after 30min - SOLUTION

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Java crashes and will stop playback after 30min - SOLUTION

Postby Iggyiggyiggy » Wed May 08, 2013 9:08 pm

I've been digging around the forums for a while and randomly found a solution to my issue on Windows 7

Setup: Wired router connecting computer, PS3, and LG television. Playback would go computer -> router -> PS3 -> receiver -> TV

Seemingly out of nowhere, playback would stop and the PS3 would come up with a media server error. Javaw.exe (which was usually running around 200,000k on memory via the task manager) would be pegged at over 800,000k and PMS had crashed, either unresponsive or blackscreened. Ctrl-alt-del everything and restart everything would work for a little bit but it would crash again.

I finally found something that works. The two things might be related, so try either or both if java keeps freezing and crashing.

Increase Java heap size
- In your PS3 Media Server file tree, find the PMS batch file, PMS.bat
- Right click / Edit ...
- Where it says "start javaw -Xmx728m .... " I changed the value to -Xmx3072m. I believe this increases the java heap size to 3GB. I noticed that Java would crash once memory used got over that initial 700m limit. I have 32GB of ram, so 3GB should work just fine, and I believe that 4GB is the most that 32bit Java can use at all.
- Save and close

Whitelist your devices
- Start / find CMD / right click and run as administrator
- Type ipconfig to find your IP4 setting of your computer. Mine was 192.168.1.102
- Start PMS. Check the Traces tab and look for IP addresses. If your PS3 is found, it will list it's IP address. Mine was 192.168.1.101.
- In the General Configuration tab, set "Force IP of the server" to your computer's IP address.
- Set "Use an IP filter (whitelist):" to both your PS3 and your computer's IP address. I used, "192.168.1.101, 192.168.1.102"
- This will ensure that PMS only sees your computer and the PS3 for comms.

Before the whitelist, I would check the traces tab and see random comms to a 192.168.1.106 address with a bunch of failures and Startplayback and Stopplayback errors, cannot read picture files that weren't being used, and a bunch of other errors. I found another thread that says that LG smart TVs would mess with PMS.

Anyway, I did these things and now I can playback a full movie. Network utilization is way down, and javaw.exe is only using around 100,000k memory. I'm sure only whitelisting IP addresses would have worked without increasing the java heap size, but there ya go. If any of this is technically wrong, it's because I'm just tinkering. Feel free to correct.
Iggyiggyiggy

Re: Java crashes and will stop playback after 30min - SOLUTI

Postby Raptor399 » Sat May 11, 2013 9:09 am

Thanks for sharing!

Iggyiggyiggy wrote:Before the whitelist, I would check the traces tab and see random comms to a 192.168.1.106 address with a bunch of failures and Startplayback and Stopplayback errors, cannot read picture files that weren't being used, and a bunch of other errors. I found another thread that says that LG smart TVs would mess with PMS.

You may be on to something interesting here. It would be interesting to compare a more detailed trace log from before and after the whitelisting action!
Raptor399
Project Member

Postby calvinguy » Mon May 13, 2013 8:55 am

I don't know if our issue is related, but I notice that when watching something on PMS, my javaw.exe memory usage would be really high at around 700k-800k.

I don't have the same issue of playback stopping after 30 minutes but I notice that when the javaw.exe memory reaches this level, I won't be able to play another video afterwards nor would I be able to use the "go to" feature to skip ahead in the current video. Instead I get a message about the file being corrupted. I've tried using both things you suggested and the problem still remains, which makes me think that my problems are probably different than yours.

I noticed that even after I exit a video on my playstation, the Javaw.exe will remain consuming the same amount of memory. This is probably what is causing my problems.

I downloaded an older version of PMS, version 1.20.412, and all the issues appear to be fixed. Javaw.exe memory usage will drop back down when I am not playing a video.
calvinguy

Postby meskibob » Mon May 13, 2013 1:48 pm

The memory is not actually in use and this is not the cause of your issue. There are plenty of threads on the forum regarding the "high" memory usage and the heap garbage collection, so please do some searching if you're interested.
As for your issues with videos not playing or the Go To not working, please start a new thread and follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Return to General Help and Support