Server not detecting PS3 on ethernet over power

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Server not detecting PS3 on ethernet over power

Postby zackariah » Wed May 08, 2013 5:52 pm

Hi

I am having problems getting my TVs and PS3 to see my PMS (installed on my PC) on my network. My network is setup as follows:

1) PC (with PMS installed), PC and Network TV (net tv 1) connected to a hub that is connected to my BT Home Hub 3 via ethernet over power.
2) PS3, network TV (net tv 2) connected to a hub that is connected to my BT Home Hub 3 via ethernet over power.
3) Network TV (net tv 3) connected to my BT Home Hub 3 via ethernet over power.

I am trying to connect to PMS from PS3, net tv 2, net tv 3 however they can not see the server and the server can not see them. I know the server is working as net tv 1 can connect to it (it is on the same hub). I can ping the PS3 and the TVs from the PMS PC however I am getting no joy with a connection. I have installed PMS on a laptop and plugged it directly into my BT Home Hub 3 and it can be seen by everything.

My ethernet over power adapters are "Trendnet powerline 500 AV Nano".

All ethernet over power adapters connect to one adapter that is plugged into the BT Home Hub 3 (I dont know if this has any bearing).

Does anyone know if there is a inherit problem with DLNA when using ehternet over power? Can anyone spot anything I am doing wrong?

Thanks in advance

PS I am posting as I have been through the help page
zackariah

Re: Server not detecting PS3 on ethernet over power

Postby meskibob » Wed May 08, 2013 6:21 pm

Despite being able to ping, it sounds like you're having a subnet issue.
Please provide specifics for each "hub", e.g. type of device (router, unmanaged switch, etc), model, IP addresses, DHCP configuration, etc.
Most-likely you'll need to configure your other "hubs" to not be DHCP servers, so the main "home hub 3" handles all routing.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby zackariah » Wed May 08, 2013 6:27 pm

Ok I think I may have got my terminology wrong, I may have switches not hubs (except for the BT one) the first is:

TP-Link TL-SF1005D 5-Port 10/100Mbps Unmanaged Desktop Switch

and the second is a Sony STR-DA3600ES (it has 4 network ports on the back)

Does this help?
zackariah

Postby zackariah » Wed May 08, 2013 6:37 pm

I'm at work at the mo but I will provide more details shortly all devices are setup with DHCP (from the BT Home Hub 3) the leases are for 24 hours.
zackariah

Postby meskibob » Wed May 08, 2013 6:48 pm

The TL-SF1005D should be ok since it's unmanaged.
However,
a) you may need separate powerline adapter connections for 1) home hub 3 to tp-link, 2) home hub 3 to receiver, and 3) home hub 3 to net tv 3. Fixing this should allow net tv 3 to work, as I'm not sure that a single powerline adapter is meant to handle routing to multiple other adapters.
b) you may still have issues using the receiver as a hub for your other devices. If doing the above doesn't also solve your issues with the PS3 and net tv 2, then the easiest thing to do is probably just get another switch like the tp-link.

If you need additional assistance after trying the above, start by providing the IP addresses for each device in your network.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby zackariah » Wed May 08, 2013 7:30 pm

Ok thanks I m going to get in contact with Trendnet to see if a is correct they either way I will update the thread.

Thanks again
zackariah

Return to General Help and Support