Spotty connectivity to no connectivity.

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Spotty connectivity to no connectivity.

Postby dudius » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:05 am

I use Windows 7 and stream to my PS3. The two are connected via ethernet to my Netgear WNR1000v2 (150N). Was running PMS 1.80.0 and at times it would work and others it wouldn't. I couldn't find a solution that would work consistently. Once I reset my router and it worked, a few times I disabled media servers on the PS3 and re-enabled them, and once I found that clicking the [x] wouldn't close PSM and would minimize it so I had it running six times, closed all but one and then it worked well for a day. I also noticed that a lot of the time it would connect even though PSM would say it couldn't find any renderers, it rarely showed WMP and the PS3 but would still stream for about 90 minutes before I'd have to restart the server.

Tonight I couldn't make it work and I updated to 1.81.0 and that hasn't helped. My PS3 always recognizes Windows Media Player as a server but PMS won't recognize WMP or the PS3 as renderers. I've tried restarting my PC and PS3, letting everything through my firewall, even disabled my firewall, still nothing. I've tried forcing IPs and forcing the PS3 renderer and I've tried using auto settings, no connection. I've used everything I could find applicable to the situation and have come up empty.

Any help is very much appreciated.

Update: I restarted the server a few times, and searched for servers on the PS3 each time. Eventually I got a connection, though PMS says No Renderers were found, Buffer Status: Empty, and lists no renderers. Used with firewall off, watched for haf-hour. Started another show, turned firewall on during playback and caused the PS3 to lose the server. Turned firewall off and server came back up. I've tried allowing everything under the PMS folder but I can't seem to get the server to connect without turning off firewall. What other things can I allow that will affect this?

Side note: still says no renderers, though the PS3 will connect and play media from the server.
dudius

Re: Spotty connectivity to no connectivity.

Postby Raptor399 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:53 am

dudius wrote:Side note: still says no renderers, though the PS3 will connect and play media from the server.

As far as I know, it is not possible to play media from PMS while it shows a red cross. Other than being a nice graphical touch, the code really needs to know which renderer connects in order to serve media properly.

Is there maybe another instance of PMS still running?
Raptor399
Project Member

Return to General Help and Support