High quality files jump/freeze/lag - Ive done my homework

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

High quality files jump/freeze/lag - Ive done my homework

Postby Adoniram » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:44 pm

I've been using PMS happily for a few years now, and usually it's cooperative, but sometimes it drives me up the wall. Lately, I've been trying to stream files with 7.1 DTS audio and it works, sort of... actually, the file ends up jumping every 10-20 seconds to some point further down the movie. This problem, however, is not exclusive to 7.1 audio files, as it will do this with other files that just happen to be high quality.

Observing PMS while streaming, I see the buffer fill up (set to 600MB), then clear. Then fill. Then clear. CPU is high the whole time (around 70-80%), and network streaming is painfully slow, sometimes stopping altogether.

So here's my setup:
Computer
AMD Phenom II 975 (3.7GHz quad-core)
16GB RAM
Windows 7 x64
PMS 1.80.0

PS3 - Slim, 2 months old

Receiver
Onkyo TX-NR717

Network
Computer and PS3 hooked up via Cat6 cables to Gigabit router

In trying to stream 7.1 DTS, I checked the box to allow DTS straight through to the receiver, and I do see 7.1 DTS at the receiver, which is great, but the file has this jumping issue. I've changed that setting, and I only see 5.1 audio at the receiver, but the jumping issue persists, so I'm pretty sure it's something to do with the video (related to HQ video). Low quality movies, even with 5.1DTS tracks, play just fine.

I haven't really changed any other settings. Any ideas here? Your help is most appreciated.
Adoniram

Re: High quality files jump/freeze/lag - Ive done my homewor

Postby meskibob » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:48 pm

I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby Adoniram » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:49 pm

Yes, I've followed the FAQ, thank you.

768 did not resolve it. Should I go higher? Or do you have any other thoughts?
Adoniram

Postby meskibob » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:44 pm

768 is the default value...
There are example values listed in that FAQ post, but each setup is different, so you may need to guess and check a little bit.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby Adoniram » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:05 pm

Ok, does it hurt at all to set the PMS buffer to 600MB as well? Should I leave it at 400, or will it actually hurt it if I boost to 600MB?

I will play around with the Java setting. I have 16GB of RAM, so I may boost that value pretty high and will post my results.
Adoniram

Postby ExSport » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:51 pm

768 is default for JAVA heap size. If you will enable 600MB for buffer, you are right, it will be much worse!
PMS itself uses some memory, plugins too, cache too, buffer too so you will get out of memory.
With default 768MB it is safe to use 200MB of memory for testing if everyting is ok.
Raising 768 on computer with 16GB RAM is not relevant. If your PC is using 32bit Java, your 16GB can't be used and JAVA will still have memory problems because with 32bit also on 16GB system it will be problem to allocate more than 1200-1300MB of continuous memory. With 64bit JAVA also system with 4GB can pass these 1200-1300MB limit of 32bit system/Java.
When PMS will get out of memory, in most cases video will skip, stutter, jump forward and backward randomly so lowering buffer instead of make it bigger is a must (with default heap size)
ExSport

Postby Adoniram » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:39 pm

So the heap size is the total RAM allocation for PMS purposes? And the buffer size is how much of that heap size PMS is allowed to use for just buffering purposes?

If that's true, I can crank up the heap size to ~1500MB and turn the buffer up to 600MB, and that should theoretically help. I have a 64-bit OS and both 32 and 64-bit java installed. Even still, the numbers we're talking about here don't benefit from x64 applications. The benefit for me is just that I can have large amounts of RAM in my system and allow programs to use more RAM if needed (in this case, PMS)
Adoniram

Postby Adoniram » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:34 am

Quick update: Issue appears resolved. Meskibob, thank you for pointing out the FAQ, which I did read, but needed a second look.

My settings:
Heap size: 1536M
Buffer size: 600M

No stuttering or lag. :D
Adoniram

Postby meskibob » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:04 pm

Glad to hear you resolved your issue. What about the FAQ was unclear on the first read? Things can always be refined/clarified.
meskibob

Return to General Help and Support