Occasional stutter with MKV files

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Occasional stutter with MKV files

Postby coder3d » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:33 am

I just started using this program and it is great but I am having one issue. From time to time when playing an MKV file the bandwidth showing on the tv screen for the ps3 shows it stream up to around 15mbps (which is smooth) for the video stream then randomly up to 50 mbps (which causes stuttering during playback). If I play the video again the same part does not do that every time, it is just a random issue. It usually lasts 30 seconds or so then is back to normal or if I pause it and resume it then it is normal again. I believe these videos I am streaming are 720p.

I have tried to limit the maximum bandwidth down to as low as 12mbps and then saved the settings and restarted everything but it seems it still does this. It is like it is not recognizing I changed the setting and its still the same as it was. Do I need to change any of the other settings in network settings because they are all blank besides the one I mentioned I changed.

Also in the transcoding buffer status it shows the peak bitrate is 25mbps which seems to be false since the ps3 itself shows it go up to about 50mbps when this issue happens. I also checked my network usage in the task manager for the 65mbps wireless network adapter im using with an excellent signal never even went to 50% usage even when this was happening so it should not be a hardware issue. I had no other traffic on my network at the time.

I am using a 2500k CPU at 4.7Ghz, Windows 7 64 bit, 8GB RAM, AMD 7950 GPU, Intel 320 SSD (Apps), WD Black (Media)

What should I do?
coder3d

Re: Occasional stutter with MKV files

Postby coder3d » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:22 am

Hello?
coder3d

Postby meskibob » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:35 am

Follow the FAQ - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3507&start=30#p42818
Remember, wireless connections can suffer from intermittent interference.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby coder3d » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:58 pm

I understand I am just wondering if there is a way I can limit the bandwidth in some way that will actually work. It gets unnecessarily high when it messes up.
coder3d

Postby fonkdoc » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:52 pm

I used to have the same issue, it's not because of PMS. I found out it came from the latest Java update (1.70.21). You need to go back to version 1.7.0.17 ;-)
fonkdoc

Return to General Help and Support