worked fine until i put it on a 2nd comp

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

worked fine until i put it on a 2nd comp

Postby hosef » Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:28 am

I got this program last night and while i was sleeping i transferred a .mkv file to my ps3 and it worked beautifully. This morning i tried to get some pictures off of another comp, got them and now the PS3 only recognizes the 2nd comp.

2nd comp is connected via wireless and mine is connected via ethernet cable, so i had to change the internet settings on the PS3 from wireless to wired connection, i changed them back and now PS3 Media Server will not find the PS3 on my comp.

The weird thing is even though i changed the connection to wired, i can still connect to the PS3 via the wireless connection on the 2nd comp. This wouldnt be a problem but it has a FAT32 filesys so the .mkv movies i get are far too large.

I have an Intel Pentium 4
1.49 GHz
512 MB of RAM

Im not sure if i am supposed to change something on my PS3 or what please help

this is what it says when i try to connect

[main] TRACE 20.55.24.967 Scanning network interface lo / MS TCP Loopback interface
[main] TRACE 20.55.24.967 Scanning network interface with eth) / Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection - Packet Scheduler Miniport
[main] TRACE 20:55:24.982 Using address /192.168.2.64 found on network interface: name:eth) (Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection - Packet Scheduler Miniport) index: 2 addresses: /192.168.2.64;
[main] TRACE 20:55:24.982 Created socket: /192.168.2.64:5001
[main] TRACE 20.55.25.014 Sending ALIVE...
[Thread-5] TRACE 20:55:25.029 Starting DLNA Server on host 192.168.2.64 and port 5001...
[main] TRACE 20:55:25.045 Using following UUID: 3df3c118-062f-3f20-993e-b3a8c21591bf
[main] TRACE 20:25:29.342 It's ready! You should see the server appears on XMB
[main] TRACE 20.55.39.342 Sending ALIVE...
[main] TRACE 20.56.04.389 Sending ALIVE...
[main] TRACE 20.59.07.748 Sending ALIVE...
[main] TRACE 21.02.12.342 Sending ALIVE...
[main] TRACE 21.05.16.170 Sending ALIVE...
[main] TRACE 21.08.21.373 Sending ALIVE...
[main] TRACE 21.11.25.045 Sending ALIVE...
[main] TRACE 21.14.30.607 Sending ALIVE...

Any help would be appreciated
hosef

Re: worked fine until i put it on a 2nd comp

Postby meskibob » Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:31 pm

hosef wrote:2nd comp is connected via wireless and mine is connected via ethernet cable, so i had to change the internet settings on the PS3 from wireless to wired connection, i changed them back and now PS3 Media Server will not find the PS3 on my comp.
It sounds like one is connected via a crossover a cable, and the other is using the PS3 as the Wifi Ad Hoc point. So how are these machines connected to the internet?
hosef wrote:The weird thing is even though i changed the connection to wired, i can still connect to the PS3 via the wireless connection on the 2nd comp.
I'm pretty sure the PS3 acts as a Wifi Ad Hoc point independent of which connection it is using to connect to the internet.

As to your actual issue, if you're connected via crossover, you need to make sure the PS3 is on and the connection is active (can test with a ping) before starting PMS. Methinks, however, that getting a simple switch will help you out and make things better in the long run.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby hosef » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:39 pm

The computers connect via a Belkin F5D6231-4-APL Wireless Cable/DSL Base Station Rounter, my PC is connected via a LAN line (CAT.5 4PAIRS Patch Cable) and the 2nd connects through a D-Link AirPlus XtremeG DWL-G132.

I can go online on the PS3, was wondering how i "test with a ping"?

I was also wondering what you meant by "getting a simple switch". If it is hardware, is there one that you recommend or were you saying that i need to switch the cable i am using?

thank you for responding to my previous post and any further help would be greatly appreciated
hosef

Postby meskibob » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:07 am

hosef wrote:The computers connect via a Belkin F5D6231-4-APL Wireless Cable/DSL Base Station Rounter, my PC is connected via a LAN line (CAT.5 4PAIRS Patch Cable) and the 2nd connects through a D-Link AirPlus XtremeG DWL-G132.
How is the PS3 connected to the router?
hosef wrote:I was also wondering what you meant by "getting a simple switch". If it is hardware, is there one that you recommend or were you saying that i need to switch the cable i am using?
A switch is a more basic version of a router, but you already have the router so a switch isn't necessary. However, you should actually update to Cat5e patch cable as it has several improvements over Cat5.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby hosef » Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:14 am

The PS3 is connected to the router by the same type of a LAN line (CAT.5 4PAIRS Patch Cable) the same way my computer is connected to the internet, the same way i had it set up when i was able to connect and convert an .mkv file which i was able to watch in it's entirety.

Do i need to set up a network of some sort on my comp (I am running XP) for it to recognize the PS3, or is that what this program does? I wasn't sure if i was missing something really basic because it worked the first time and i skipped a step accidentally.

Thank you for responding so quickly to my previous post and again any further help would be greatly appreciated.
hosef

Postby meskibob » Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:19 am

If the PS3 is wired to the router, then the network settings on the PS3 should stay on wired independent of which PC is connecting, which seems to be different than what initially worked for you...
hosef wrote:2nd comp is connected via wireless and mine is connected via ethernet cable, so i had to change the internet settings on the PS3 from wireless to wired connection, i changed them back and now PS3 Media Server will not find the PS3 on my comp.
meskibob

Postby hosef » Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:11 am

My settings on the PS3 are set to wired, and they were set to wired when it did work. I switched it to wireless so my 2nd comp could use the same program. After i got a few pics off of the 2nd comp, i switched everything back to their original settings. The PS3 will still go online, and i can download Demos from the PS Store, but my primary comp is not recognized by the PS3 or the PS3 is not recognizing my comp.

I was wondering if i need to make one or the other discoverable in some way or need to set up a network on my primary comp to find the PS3. I really am at a loss and don't know what to do, this program was the best thing when it worked.

Thank you again for responding so quickly to my previous post and again any further help would be greatly appreciated.
hosef

Postby mazinga » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:35 am

Well I don't have your solution but I do know that you should leave your PS3 connection type set to wired regardless of how your other devices are connected. They are all connected thru the router not connected directly to each other.
mazinga

Return to General Help and Support