Who can connect to my computer?

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Who can connect to my computer?

Postby pigitalent » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:42 am

So I just got a PS3 and decided to connect to it using PMS. It worked GREAT without any problems :D

But I never had to use any paswords to connect the PC and the PS3. So I was wondering, what if my neighbour has a PS3, and he searches for media servers, couldn't he find mine and connect to my computer right away? without being asked for a password?

My WiFi doesn't have a password, so maybe thats why it was so easy to connect?

I guess what I am wondering is how PMS works. How is it that my PS3 was able to connect to my computer as easy as it did. I don't want my neighbours being able to connect D:

Anyway, hope someone can help, i feel like I am asking a very noobish question.
pigitalent

Re: Who can connect to my computer?

Postby postwarbreakout » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:14 pm

everyone who is in your WiFi can connect to your media server without any problems, so if your WiFi has no password, then yes, your neigbours could find your server.
I really recommend to encrypt your WiFi, everyone could use it for illegal stuff and then you're the one to blame..
postwarbreakout

Postby pigitalent » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:12 pm

Thanks, this clears things up now :D

I have added password to my WiFi various times, but I lose my internet connection often, and whenever that happens the password resets to nothing... so I just don't bother anymore.

Anyway, thanks again for replying :)
pigitalent

Postby pascalpothof » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:00 pm

HUH what !lost your password? have you an router? whit wpa2 or an other password protection?
pascalpothof

Postby pigitalent » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:19 am

I do have the ability to set up a password with WPA2, but I am not too good with these things, usually I just call support and they set it up for me... but then if I lose my internet connection, I have to reset router and I guess that resets the password. I don't even bother anymore because I lose my connection fairly often
pigitalent

Return to General Help and Support