Video Skipping

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Video Skipping

Postby magiccowinuse » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:07 am

To start off with, YES I did read the section in the FAQ about skipping

Re: PS3 Media Server for dummies / tutorial howto documenta
by meskibob » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:09 pm

Problem: During remuxed or transcoded video playback your video either skips sections of the movie (forward or back) or the video crashes entirely. When you check the debug.log file, you find the phrase "Not enough memory", "OutOfMemory" or "Cannot grow buffer size from 50.000.000 bytes to ... bytes.".

Solution:
PMS is exceeding the available Java heap memory allocated when PMS starts. Newer versions of PMS handle this error by half-ing the transcode buffer (sometimes leading to skips or crashes depending on the renderer) while older versions just let the video crash.
The heap is the sum of the transcode buffer memory plus all of the overhead memory (the actual PMS application, media library, iTunes support, Radio plugin, etc), and the overhead memory can grow quite a bit if the "extra" features (iTunes, Radio plugin, etc) are enabled.

The quick solution is just decrease the size of the transcode buffer or disable some of the extra features. How much you need to decrease or what features depends on your system and may require some basic guess and check.

However, if you need the larger transcode buffer (better playback) or the extra features (or just want to better manage the memory on your system), then you need to increase the available heap size.
Locate the file "PMS.bat" (Windows), "PMS.sh" (Linux) or "/Applications/PS3 Media Server.app/Contents/Info.plist" (Mac OS X) and open it in a text editor
Modify the "-Xmx768M" value - http://blog.paulgu.com/2008/07/19/6-com ... heap-size/
Save and close the file
For Windows/Linux, you should now launch PMS using the modified bat/sh file. For Mac OS X, you can launch the application as normal.
Note: this will obviously take up more of your RAM, so make sure you set a value appropriate for your system
Example values (courtesy of Coltaine79 and ExSport):
32-bit JVM on a 64-bit machine with 4+ GB of RAM can safely use a heapsize value of 1536 with a 400MB PMS buffer and a few of the larger plugins enabled.
32-bit JVM on a 32-bit machine with 4 GB of RAM should at most use a heapsize value of 1200
How to Change the Heap Size If Installed as a Windows Service: (thanks lightglitch)
Locate the wrapper.conf (Windows) at win32\service
Modify the line:
CODE: SELECT ALL
# Maximum Java Heap Size (in MB)
wrapper.java.maxmemory=768
Save and close the file
Launch PMS using the service
Last edited by meskibob on Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Clarify launching PMS after bat/sh/plist modifications
I provide NO application support via PM, so please post your question to the forum.
meskibob

I have more than 4G so I changed this to 1200M. I was getting the error stated.
I have i7 3.2Ghz with 6gbRAM

I installed Avisynth just to see if that would fix the skipping, no luck.

I am still getting the error (attached and settings are attached).

All settings are the same as they were before I had to format my drive due to hacked product key. At that time the streaming worked flawlessly. I didn't change any values before (except the transcode max buffer) which is on max as it was before.

ANY HELP GUYS?
Attachments
pms.jpg
pms.jpg (207.31 KiB) Viewed 921 times
pms.zip
(4.82 KiB) Downloaded 47 times
magiccowinuse

Re: Video Skipping

Postby meskibob » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:18 pm

The memory in your debug.log is still the default:
Code: Select all
INFO  2013-01-15 20:53:39.495 [main] Memory: 742 MB

Are you launching PMS using the modified bat file, or are you running as a service? (both are covered in the FAQ post)
If you are launching PMS using the bat file and are not running as a service, post the bat file here.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Return to General Help and Support