Has my Home Server been hacked?

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Has my Home Server been hacked?

Postby jcasale » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:44 pm

I had who I thought was a friend over the other day. I hadn't seen him in a couple years. We hung out and was good. Invited him over again and this time he had his laptop and smartphone with him. He was trying to access my server to share files but the normal ways were not working. This was because I conveniently forgot the wireless password and my home server date was set back a year. His windows7 would not connect because of this (same prob with machine i have win7 on but fixed). I had ps3mediaserver running on my home server and he had ps3mediaserver on his laptop and he was able to access my files through it. So as you see he was really persistent. I did keep an eye on the screen and did not see him access any sensitive areas. My real concern now is my Windows Home Server Security Log shows him accessing the server as ANON/Anonymous or something like that for most of the evening. I saw his name as the Workstation being reported and assigned all these privileges. Did the ps3mediaserver put these in the logs or was he able to hack into my server during all this without my knowledge and possibly get all my saved tax returns and god knows what else? I found out he is closely associated with someone who has multiple arrests and the last 3 of them for identity fraud.
Thanks for any help.
jcasale

Re: Has my Home Server been hacked?

Postby meskibob » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:00 pm

PMS can only access files (local and remote) that the logged in user running the program actually has access to, and it will only create logs on the running machine, not on the remote machine. He would have had to have direct access to your files already before being able to access them with PMS.
As such, this is not an issue with PMS, and while it sucks that this happened to you, it is outside the scope of this forum. I'd recommend going to a security related forum for help getting those logs checked.
Thread locked.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Return to General Help and Support