Is my computer too old..

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Is my computer too old..

Postby smallcrpt » Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:13 pm

I'm running an Athlon 64 3700+ with 2gb ram. With xp pro.

I'm on a wired connection, but I get all the issues that are common in the forums. I'd try some different settings, but my desktop this morning gave me a healthy, BSOD, so i'm switching files over and going for a clean boot.

I have problems with 720p mkv stuttering and reg dvdr playback. DVDr playback just pauses a coupla minutes into the movie.
The comp by itself plays the 720p ok, not totally perfect, so maybe thats it...

What are some settings people with single core processors trying out and having success with, esp if they are hardwired...

Thanks for the software, blows everything else out of the water.
-chris
smallcrpt

Re: Is my computer too old..

Postby Schwenk » Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:51 am

I even have a very old one; Pentium M 1400 mhz in a laptop......slow as hell. I cannot even play an MKV on it.

The things that I do in order to have PMS working is have all encoders switched off instead of tsmuxer left on:
- MKV files, transcode these with tsmuxer only which does only a remux of the file into a format that ps3 can read, no conversion is used so the same quality as original mkv file, only problem is no subtitles
- xvid, stream perfectly, i even used a program called addxsubs (google it) and add subtitles to my xvid files which the ps3 reads perfectly. No transcoders are needed and you can use the subtitle button on the ps3 to select up to 8 languages (if added of course)
- Iso files: this is were I have problems, it works until 16 sec and then mencoder crashes on my laptop...cpu goes up to 100%, PMS crashes and I have to restart. I do not get this as this should be played by the ps3 seamlessly as it is a vob.

Hope this get's you movin....this is the way everything works for me perfectly.
Schwenk

Postby bane126 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:15 pm

My set up:

2.4GHZ P4
1GB RAM

@ Schwenk.....I too am having stuttering with 720P MKV's. I leave them buffering for about 3-5 minutes before I press play and they still chop up after a few minutes. I am going to try your settings, but have a question first. Do you have any codec packs installed? If so, which one?

Thanks in advance.
bane126

Postby shagrath » Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:59 am

bane126 wrote:My set up:

2.4GHZ P4
1GB RAM

@ Schwenk.....I too am having stuttering with 720P MKV's. I leave them buffering for about 3-5 minutes before I press play and they still chop up after a few minutes. I am going to try your settings, but have a question first. Do you have any codec packs installed? If so, which one?

Thanks in advance.

imho a P4 2.4 Ghz is too slow for transcoding 720p... I would suggest, in the transcode settings panel, to reduce quality settings, and make sure one core is selected (2 cores are automatically selected with a P4, wrongly)... or wait for the next version, who should include the most recent mencoder official build, with H264 optimizations and speed gain by a few percents. You can also try CoreAVC with the AviSynth/Mencoder
ultimately, a slight overclocking would be nice :p
shagrath
Project Lead

Postby Schwenk » Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:30 am

bane126 wrote:My set up:

2.4GHZ P4
1GB RAM

Thanks in advance.

Bane126 --> I use CCCP www.cccp-project.net/ , but you do not need any codecs for transcoding with tsmuxer enabled in PS3 Media Server. If not latest solution to this is convert them to the . m2ts format with the TsMuxeR program and stream this directly with PS3 Media server to your ps3...but as I stated before, no subtitles are supported in both scenarios. I guess we have to buy a new pc very soon!
Schwenk

Return to General Help and Support