I cant figure out how to reset to default settings for pms

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

I cant figure out how to reset to default settings for pms

Postby gr8fuldead » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:04 am

My old computer recently died so I got a new one. This one has windows 8. I installed playstation media server, and it seemed to work great. Except it had subtitles all the time, and I couldn't figure out how to turn them off. SO, I changed a bunch of stuff in the pms program, and somehow, I messed everything up! Now it streams until my transcoding buffer status fills up to 400 mbs, then it starts messing up. I usually get about 3 minutes of good movie before it all goes to hell. Not very useful, right? Really, all I want to do is go back to default settings, where things seemed to work perfectly. Only I cant figure out how to get to default settings. Ive tried uninstalling pms, and reinstalling pms. Nope, my messed up settings are somehow saved. Ive tried uninstalling, restarting my computer, then reinstalling pms, nope, my messed up settings still saved. Ive searched the forums here, because id rather not create my own post. However, the only thing that might closely resemble getting me back to factory settings is.... viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3507&start=20#p32731 which might as well be in Japanese or Martian. Because I don't even begin to understand that. Did I also mention im a computer newb? Why are there links in your instruction sending me to Wikipedia?!?!?! Why isn't there a 'reset settings' button or something?! at this point, the easiest fix I can think of, is resetting MY COMPUTER and reinstalling windows, and formatting the drive, AFTER I move the 300 gigs I want to keep to an external. Which is gonna take me hours upon hours of work. Why cant this just be simplified a little bit? pms is the only way to play some .mkv files since mkv2vob doesn't work on everything. please email jaywright26@yahoo.com if you have an easy way to COMPLETELY RESET PMS SETTINGS
gr8fuldead

Re: I cant figure out how to reset to default settings for p

Postby meskibob » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:13 am

All you have to do is delete the PMS.conf file. That file is located in the ProgramData\PMS folder. Either paste the path listed in that FAQ post or manually browse to it (after showing hidden folders) and delete the file. If there is something confusing about that, post it here.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby gr8fuldead » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:23 am

Hey thanks for helping so fast meskibob. I really appreciate it. Ive been trying for hours now and I honestly feel like pulling my hair out! But your getting me on a better track already. However, im still having trouble. Where exactly is this pms.conf file? I have no idea where the Programdata\PMS folder is located. Do you mean, "C:\Program Files (x86)\PS3 Media Server" ?? I didn't see a pms.conf file in that folder. I see a web.conf but that's the only .conf file in that folder. The files labeled pms are, pms.bat, pms.exe, and pms.jar. Im confused how uninstalling and reinstalling pms hasn't fixed the problem. =(
gr8fuldead

Postby gr8fuldead » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:26 am

Oh! I think I figured it out. Ill get back to you and letcha know. thanks again
gr8fuldead

Postby gr8fuldead » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:49 pm

Well. It worked perfectly. For one movie. Then I reset my ps3, and now playstation media server and the ps3 arnt detecting each other. *sigh* theres nothing as good as ps3media server out there, tversity or serviio and windows media player all fail consistanly on many different movies and video files. But jesus this is so friggan difficult to get working right. I remember my own slew of problems setting it up with the windows 7 comp, and now I have a whole new giant stack of problems.
gr8fuldead

Postby meskibob » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:54 pm

Again, follow the FAQ - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3507&start=20#p34933
Follow each of help points in that post, and if you have any specific questions regarding a help point, post them here.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby rev0luci0n » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:11 am

Are you running the 64 or 32 bit version of Java?

If 64, you will need to enable some new config to get the service to start correctly.

I ended up downloading the 32bit version of Java to ensure the service would start correctly, but now I'm having some issues streaming Xvids to my playstation, which oddly enough weren't present when I ran with the 64bit version of java...

I agree this software is easily the best DLNA solution available, just takes a bit of time like all good things to get running how you want it :)
rev0luci0n

Postby mazey » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:22 am

use this if u wanna run java in 64 bit as a service. the java heap size is limited in 32 bit thats why u get buffer issues.

http://www.krenger.ch/blog/java-service ... ndows-x64/
PMS 1.90.2 SNAPSHOT - HP Proliant Microserver N54L 2.2Ghz - Windows Home Server 2011 (64bit) 8GB - Bravia KDL55HX750
mazey

Return to General Help and Support