TV not able to play 1080p via DLNA?

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

TV not able to play 1080p via DLNA?

Postby spmmfycn » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:05 pm

:?: Hi everyone,

Im pretty new to the whole transcoding/muxing topic and I am not an native english speaker, but ill try my best to explain my problem.
So I am using a MacBook Air (i5 dualcore, connected via WLan n 300Mbit MCS-Index 15), a TimeCapsule as 1Gbit switch and an Samsung TV (UE46D....., connected via wired 1Gbit).

Is it correct, that:
- if my TV supports the fileformat, PMS does 'nothing' (no muxing, no trancoding)
- if i am experiencing 'unsmooth' playback (missing frames?) or reloading during playback, the limiting factor is most likely the network bandwith or the internal TV hardware
- in that case (my TV supports most formats) the only way to 'force' transcoding is by using the transcode-folder

- what exactly is the difference between mpg2 transcoding and MEncoder? I just dont get in which case PMS uses which method.

The thing is, that if I am trying to watch 1080p material, I am experiencing the mentioned unsmooth playback an reloading. If i force transcoding, the playback seems smooth - but of course i am loosing quality. I think that maybe my TV either does only support 100Mbit Ethernet (which maybe is too slow), or the internal hardware is too slow/cheap for 1080p playback. And as final question: considering i am right.. what would be the best way to deal with it (in terms of quality) - mpg2 transcoding with 1-1-1?

Thank you very much!
spmmfycn

Return to General Help and Support