Can you mac-address lock the media server?

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Can you mac-address lock the media server?

Postby perpetro » Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:10 pm

My media server is connected to a "public network" with 100's of people connected on the lan-side of the router, which means a handful of ps3's will have access to the media. Aren't there a way to filter the ps3's so that the server only connects to my ps3 without me having to buy and setup an router for this task?
The most obvious way to do this is (of course) mac-filtering but i havn't found any post on that on this forum - so im thinking there might not be such an function implimented (yet?).
Does anyone have an idea how to solve this problem? Im open to ideas of 3rd party program to filter mac's for the PS3 media server application only?

Solutions NOT relevant:
Ip filter (dynamically obtained ip’s)
Unhooking from the network or in any way changing physical connections when using the mediasever

Thanks in advance!
perpetro

Re: Can you mac-address lock the media server?

Postby whatsit » Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:15 pm

Hi There,

Could you reply with the operating system you are using?

Linux offers some great filtering capabilities at the OS level. Windows has some, but not as many as Linux. Mac OS X -- I'm not sure I don't own a fruity computer :lol:

Anyway, the idea would be to use your machine's local firewall to only allow traffic from a certain mac into the ports that PMS uses and block anyone else, right?

Thanks.
whatsit

Postby meskibob » Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:39 pm

I'm pretty sure he means the other way, so that it can only send out data to specified MACs, which is what the current IP Filter does with IPs.

To answer the initial question, MAC filtering is not currently available in PMS.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby perpetro » Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:08 am

Thank you for the quick reply! For Whatsit: I'm running Vista - but if theres a solution on linux I could just dualboot on vpc to linux... that's no biggie. Meskibob got it right, I'm trying to restrict the outgoing trafic since I need most of the bandwidth when streaming.

As there are no current solution in the program it will be a matter of finding an 3rd party application to handle this.

I was actually considering that a firewall might do, but i can't think of a way for a general purpose firewall to make a mac-address filter for a specific application. And blocking all connections but the connection to the ps3 would be inconvenient :(
The only solution i can come up with is to make a virtual network connection (not VPN - just the protocol) where you would be able to control the packageflow... but i wouldn't know where to begin with that task.
perpetro

Return to General Help and Support