How do you play MKV's on your xbox

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

How do you play MKV's on your xbox

Postby maartmo » Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:10 pm

Intel q6600 2,4 ghz
2 gig
ethernet 100 mbit
xbox 360

I'm trying to get mkv's playing on my xbox 360. I've installe ffdshow and VCL but I still get the "Unsupported file format"message on my xbox. I've tried all the engines. Is there anything else I should install ?
Hope someone can help me out. T.i.a.
maartmo

Re: How do you play MKV's on your xbox

Postby Dav of Krypton » Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:27 am

HI, I have been trying to stream .MKV's with various methods and ps3mediasevrer is the only one I had any luck with. I un-installed all my codec pack, then installed, CCCP, AC3 filter, AviSynth and finally Haali media splitter. I set it up excatly like it was said in the FAQ/HELP tab with a few settings of my own like video scaler. When I had finished setting up, I had to go into the media bladdes on the 360 to get the server to connect with it and from then I had no problem streaming 720p .MKV/.X264 etc to my 360 over my wireless connection, using my Sony Vaio VGN-FW21L Laptop (Intel core 2 duo @2.00 Ghz, 3GB ram) :D .

After a bit more rippping of 1080p Blu Ray movies, I found I didn't have enough network Bandwidth (i think) to stream without choppy results :cry: . I will be trying to stream them wired as soon as I find my old wire. My network only goes to 54 Mbps where as wired isn't limited as such.

Try these and I think you will be surprised how easy it was.

Let me know also if you managed to stream 1080P wirelessly or wired.

Cheers

Dave
Dav of Krypton

Postby maartmo » Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:09 pm

Hi Dave. Thnx for your reply ! I will try out your advise later this day. I will let you know if it works.
maartmo

Postby maartmo » Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:30 pm

Update: My mkv's are playing now but it keeps stuttering so I have to experiment some more with the settings. I'm using the avisynth right now. I ques I have to try them all. I will also experiment with the video quality settings. If anyone has found settings that give good results It would be great if you can share them !
maartmo

Postby maartmo » Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:00 pm

After installing avisynth 2.5.7 instead of 2.5.8 I'm getting great results !I'm using the default video quality settings. Planet Earth full hd streaming from my pc ! . Wow ! Great stuff.
maartmo

Postby maartmo » Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:07 pm

I tried the lossless quality but I gues that was pushing it..... :lol:

Thanks again Dave for helping me. Hope you have succes to when you use your wired connection.
maartmo

Postby maartmo » Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:01 am

Succes was short lived. After about 5 minutes the video started pausing and stuttering.... :( Haven't been able to find a setting yet that gives me fluent play all the time. Not even the low video quality settings.
Oh well, it works fine with dvd files and avis, which is great. If anyone has advise about playing MKV's on the xbox I'd be happy to hear about it....
maartmo

Postby shagrath » Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:49 pm

when the stutter happens, is the buffer status bar filled or empty ?
shagrath
Project Lead

Postby maartmo » Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:42 am

Sorry for my late reply....Forgot to turn on email notification. I´m not sure, I´d have to check that. My pc´s in the basement....so I haven´t checked the buffer status. I have set the max buffer size to 600. I will check it today and let you know. By the way, I´m also experincing sync problems with the audio when playing dvd files.
maartmo

Postby maartmo » Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:00 pm

Hi Shagrath,

I'm not sure what you mean. The status bar is displaying the bit rate but is isn't filling up.
maartmo

Next

Return to General Help and Support