PS3 Media Server with Xbox360, can you fast forward

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

PS3 Media Server with Xbox360, can you fast forward

Postby pparks1 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:00 am

I currently use PS3 Media Server to stream movies to my PS3 and my Xbox360..

I use DVD Fab Decryptor to rip the DVD to my hard drive
I then use HandBrake and I re-encode the video to MP4/MPV format with AC3 passthru.

On my PS3, no problems. Fast foward, and rewind work just fine.

On my 360 however, I can only play and pause. Cannot fast forward or rewind. I think this is more of an issue with the way the 360 handles MP4/MPV files...but would like some confirmation from others who might have experienced the same thing.

My PS3 is my player of choice, but the darn Cinavia copy protection causes me some problems on some movies from time to time. So, I'd like to use my 360...but not being able to fast forward 20 minutes into the movie is very limiting.
pparks1

Re: PS3 Media Server with Xbox360, can you fast forward

Postby ExSport » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:17 pm

Are you transcoding/remuxing or streaming? Post MediaInfo result of your mp4 file
Code: Select all
Supported=f:mp4|qt   v:h264|mp4   a:aac   n:2   m:video/mp4

XBOX.conf renderer say that only mp4 with aac and max 2 channels are supported so any other files will be re-encoded (audio/video or both)==>FF/RW broken.
So debug.log and export from MediaInfo could help.
ExSport

Re: PS3 Media Server with Xbox360, can you fast forward

Postby mdfrutiger » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:54 am

Hi,

I am also enthusiastic about using an Xbox 360 S (largely because it's wireless is much faster and I'm not able to reasonably do wired), but find that ffwd/rwnd (fast forward/rewind) don't seem to work regardless of the options I've tried, whereas they seem to work well with the ps3.

My scenario is:
PS3 Media Server 1.71.0 hosted on Win 7x64 i7-920 w/ 6GB ram, running on system disk that's an SSD.
Streaming DVD backups (just a pair of video_ts and audio_ts folders each) over wireless n via WNDR3500L netgear router running Tomato.
.. To an Xbox 360 S.

I'm happy to provide config or log file copies.

It sounds like maybe transcoding never works with fast forward/rewind (which I guess is actually time-skip?), and so maybe the issue is that the ps3 isn't transcoding those videos and so ffwd/rwnd work, whereas the Xbox 360 is always transcoding (b/c of the settings shown in the last post) and so ffwd/rwnd never works? Is that right? And if so then maybe I could just amend the Xbox.conf file to show that Xbox supports mpg2, and then it would only use remux if I didn't go into the Transcode folder and ffwd/rwnd would work?

Thanks!

PS
It also seems like, on the Xbox 360, videos may exit/ stop streaming on their own after about 15-20 minutes .. but I haven't played with this too much as I haven't watched that much yet because of the ffwd issue.
mdfrutiger

Return to General Help and Support