Question regarding cabled/wireless connection

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Question regarding cabled/wireless connection

Postby oliverl12 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:53 pm

Hi Guys, Hope all is well

Just have a quick situation to lay out to you and to see whether any of you may be able to help me. Although I am pretty PC literate, I am quite new to the PS3 and the configuration of the PS3Media Server. However, I have been using the application for a while and have thoroughly enjoyed using it. I started using the app on a wireless connection at my parents house, where I am now, only really streaming low-quality (700mb) video files through as anything remotely HD had a lot of 'buffer' time and lag spikes.
For the past 2 months, However, I have been living at a different accomodation where it was possible for me to be able to have my PS3 and PC both connected via cable to the Router, which meant I could watch 1080p videos that I had acquired legally, of course, without any problems what so ever. I thoroughly enjoyed being able to do that and would like to return to doing so.
So, this is my situation at current.. I am back at my Parents house and back to the wireless connection. It is not possible, due to layout of our house, to have the PS3 and PC both connected to the router via cable. However, what is possible, is for me to run an ethernet cable from my PC's ethernet port to the ethernet port on the PS3.. so, I was wondering.. Firstly, does the PS3 media server allow for such a connection and if so, what configuration changes would I need to make and secondly, failing the first question's viability, what alternatives are there? Can one simply setting a sharing of files to the PS3 via the ethernet cable?

I'm sorry for the huge spiel of text and apparent lack of relevance that most of it had. However, I would appreciate any help you guys can offer!
oliverl12

Re: Question regarding cabled/wireless connection

Postby chocolateboy » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:06 pm

chocolateboy
Project Member

Postby oliverl12 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:13 pm

Hi, Thanks for the response. I checked the post.. but there doesnt exactly seem to be a solution outlined . I checked the link within the link, linkception, and it didnt seem to show anything.. Could you possibly expand on what you werw wanting me to see?
oliverl12

Postby chocolateboy » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:45 pm

oliverl12 wrote:Firstly, does the PS3 media server allow for such a connection

Yes, as discussed in the linked posts.

if so, what configuration changes would I need to make

Probably none, as stated. If issues arise see the linked FAQ section.
chocolateboy
Project Member

Postby oliverl12 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:47 pm

Well, thanks for that..
oliverl12

Return to General Help and Support