Some MKVs play, some don't...

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Some MKVs play, some don't...

Postby Rhywden » Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:41 am

Before someone points me toward the FAQ: I've already tried the method described therein. All the remuxing in the world does not get most of my MKVs to play. With "don't play" I mean: The Sony Bravia let's me select the file, I see a "Dolby Digital" popping up and that's about it. Black screen, no sound.

I even took the settings from the MKV that do play and tried to copy those on the ones that don't.

No dice. The debug.log does not show any error or any information indicative of a problem.

As a kind of last resort, I've tried transcoding using Handbrake (only the first minutes of one particular MKV, mind).

No dice, either.

Which means I'm fresh out of ideas where to look next. Could someone point me in the right direction? I might add that another DLNA-Server (Mezzmo, which also uses ffmpeg) seems to have a related problem (though in that case I'm getting sound and a corrupted first frame with the same MKVs).
Rhywden

Re: Some MKVs play, some don't...

Postby mandroid » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:42 am

So, I've been scouring not only this forum but the rest of the web for days, because i have the exact same problem.
I've even tried to analyze and compare the files that play to the files that don't with mkvinfo, but no luck.

Could it be something in the audio encoding?
mandroid

Postby SeaFox » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:19 am

What audio format do these files have?

What are the audio settings you have on PS3MS?
Intel Core i7 920 - 6 GB RAM - Windows 8 Pro x64 | PS3MS v 1.82 | Sony BDP-S580, Sony BDP-S390
SeaFox

Postby mandroid » Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:04 am

Got it working!

Try this:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=13624#p65550
mandroid

Return to General Help and Support