remotely send video file to renderer

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

remotely send video file to renderer

Postby twenger » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:00 pm

Does anyone know if it's possible to send a command to the ps3mediaserver which tells it to play a specific video on a specific renderer?

This is my setup:

1) Linux operating system running ps3mediaserver.
2) Video files which are stored on the linux box.
3) A "WD Live" media player which I stream videos to from the Linux box.

I am not a big fan of the WD Live interface and would like to program my own local website which will allow me to click on a video of my choice and then send it to the render-er (WD Live). If anyone can help me get started on this path I would much appreciate any guidance. I know I'll probably have to tap into the dlna and direct commands, but not sure how or where to start. It would be nice if I could use Python or Java to possibly do these things on the server side.

Thanks!
twenger

Re: remotely send video file to renderer

Postby meskibob » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:15 pm

IIRC the DLNA protocol requires the client to handshake, so unless you can control the WD live remotely as well, I don't think this will be possible.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby chocolateboy » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:39 pm

It's possible with some devices, but PMS has no support for it:

http://blogs.windows.com/windows/b/extr ... ed-tv.aspx
http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live- ... td-p/11163

If you want to experiment, it would need to be implemented as a pms-mlx plugin. This could allow you to (e.g.) right click on a file in the file browser and select a menu option that sends it to the Digital Media Renderer.
chocolateboy
Project Member

Postby meskibob » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:59 pm

Learned something new (although I slightly remember reading this before) :)
According the DLNA website the WDTV Live supports both DMP (player = what PMS supports) and DMR (renderer = can push content to it). But as chocolateboy said, PMS has no support for it currently, although I don't see why it couldn't be possible in the future, provided there's somebody that actually wants to implement it and handle the massive scope change.
Edit: chocolateboy's mlx plugin idea sounds like a good place to start.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby twenger » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:09 pm

Yeah, you guys are right on the DMR compliance.

I've been able to use AllShare from my Samsung Galaxy phone to push videos directly to the WD box from the phone.
twenger

Postby twenger » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:16 pm

You gotta admit it would be pretty sweet to have multiple boxes around the house and the ability to operate them remotely from one source :)
twenger

Return to General Help and Support