Increasing network load, reduce cpu usage 1080p

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Increasing network load, reduce cpu usage 1080p

Postby aggsyb » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:38 am

Hi,

I havent posted on these forums before but I have been a long time browser, PMS is absaloutley brilliant and does exactly what I need , but I do have just a few questions about performance. I read alot of posts of people saying they have an old p4 with 2-3gb of ram that just about chugs a 1080p transcode out and alot of standard dual core processors doing the same. I have a dual core t4200 @ 2gh and 4ghz of ram, by all accounts this should be enough to transcode 1080p movies. The more I searched through the PMS forums and tweaked settings I realised that if you have a limited network then the transcode gets heavier on the CPU to make sure you dont receive stuttering as the network cant buffer that much information.

So with that in mind I wanted to make sure my network was basically "unlimited" by PMS hopefully reducing CPU usage and using a 1gb switch, no wireless devices. I also dont want any loss of quality. Everything I have watched on PMS before works perfectly , MKV rips of 1080p series and compressed 20gb movies are not a problem as they have lower bitrates. Now I have a few "backed up" full blu rays I can stream the MT2s files but I want to make sure that there is as little transcoding issues as possible as my network can handle large amounts of data and my laptop has struggled a bit with uncompressed blu rays.

As far as settings go is there anything else I should change? I have just downloaded the latest 1.70.1 PMS and have the latest version of Java, Bandwidth limit in network settings are set to 0. I always close any unused programs and shut down any unused services while streaming to the PS3. Just looking for a bit more advice as to what else I could change to increase performance of the transcoding as the laptop struggles a bit.

Thanks,

Ben.
aggsyb

Re: Increasing network load, reduce cpu usage 1080p

Postby chocolateboy » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:57 am

aggsyb wrote:Just looking for a bit more advice as to what else I could change to increase performance of the transcoding as the laptop struggles a bit.

FAQ: How can I fix/reduce stuttering video playback?
chocolateboy
Project Member

Return to General Help and Support