1080p video *lags* - NOT a stuttering problem! Help! (360)

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

1080p video *lags* - NOT a stuttering problem! Help! (360)

Postby Reliken » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:24 am

This seems really bizarre to me. SD video and 720p HD video play flawlessly, no issues whatsoever. ... But whenever I play 1080p video, the video falls out of sync with the audio.

There is no stuttering, but rather the video simply plays slower than the audio. So, if I put on a 1080p movie, it will be fine for the first few seconds, and then lips will start to be out of sync with the words, and then within a couple of minutes, the audio will be at the end of the intro sequence while the video is still playing through the opening titles. I must again point out that this is NOT a stuttering video issue - I had a stuttering issue with all video previously, so I know what that looks and sounds like, but that has since been resolved.

I'm running PS3 Media Server 1.70.1 on a Windows 7 64-Bit installation. I'm on a wired gigabit connection, streaming to my XBox 360.

Hardware stats:
Quad-core i5 CPU @ 3.10GHz
16 GB of DDR3 1333Mhz RAM
plenty of hard drive space

I've modified the PMS.bat to allow the buffer up to 3 gigabytes of buffer space. This problem happens exclusively with 1080p video.

I've messed around with my maximum bandwidth - from setting it to "unlimited," to 5, to 7, to 15, to 25, to 50, to 100, to 125 - none of it seems to help or make much of a difference (although if I set the maximum bandwidth too low - usually below 10 - 1080p video will fail to even initialize).

I've given PS3 Media Server permissions for both Windows Firewall and my software firewall, and I've even experimented with turning both off. I've gone into the advanced Windows Firewall settings and have given PS3 Media Server both ingoing and outgoing permissions, and made sure to manually open (for ingoing and outgoing connections) port 5001. I've tried downgrading to previous versions of PMS. I've tried using various playback methods via the #--TRANSCODE--# folder. Nothing seems to work.

Changing the MPEG-2 quality options helps, slightly. If I set them all the way to the bottom quality - keyint=25:vqmax=8:vqmin=3 /* Low quality, low-end CPU or HD Wifi transcoding */ - the video keeps up slightly better, but it still falls behind, just slower. Add to that the fact that the picture quality is really awful and it just seems like it's not worth it. Especially since I don't think my CPU is exactly "low-end." I can also play 720p video just fine with high settings - keyint=5:vqscale=1:vqmin=2 /* Great quality */

And, again, this is EXCLUSIVELY with 1080p video. No issues with 720p or below. Any and all insight, suggestions, and advice would be well appreciated. I believe I've combed over every relevant section of the various FAQs on here quite thoroughly, but if you think there's something I may have missed, please feel free to suggest it.
Reliken

Re: 1080p video *lags* - NOT a stuttering problem! Help! (36

Postby Reliken » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:18 am

Annnnybody?
Reliken

Return to General Help and Support